rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/4/15 7:53 PM

Enjoy this one guys

http://www.velodaily.com/possibly-the-best-cycling-ad-ever-and-the-funniest/2/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/4/15 8:42 PM

Argh.. We sold our Red MGB-GT when we moved from Kerfuffle...

She shoulda waited until he put the wheel in too. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/5/15 3:38 AM

I loved it, except for the POC glasses and helmet.

Jesus Saves

2/5/15 8:31 AM

winter blues

Oh how nice it would be to cycling in SoCal right now.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

2/6/15 10:25 AM

Was that an ad for POC?

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

2/7/15 9:52 AM

A sign of my age

I was more interested in the MGB GT than the driver. One of my all time favorite cars.

Tom Price

2/7/15 11:53 AM

She left the front wheel behind

I am surprised that she did not wait until he put the front wheel in.

Sparky

2/7/15 11:55 AM

"wait until he put the front wheel in."

there's a thought. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 2/8/15 11:13 AM; edited 1 time in total

Dave B

2/8/15 7:36 AM

quote:
was more interested in the MGB GT than the driver. One of my all time favorite cars.

I hope your experience with MG's was better than that of other owners I know. They said it was like the joke told about boat owners:

Q: What are the two happiest days for an MG owner?
A: The day he buys it and the day he sells it.

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/8/15 10:58 AM

Welcome to the "dark side"

LUCAS:

Here are some facts that prove beyond a doubt that Lucas really is a force from the dark side...

Although Lucas denies having invented darkness itself, they still lay claim to "sudden, unexpected darkness"
Lucas, inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas, inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three-position Lucas light switch has the following settings: DIM, FLICKER and OFF.
Other three-position switches in the Lucas range can be set to: SMOKE, SMOLDER or IGNITE.
Lucas Electrical products are the original anti-theft devices.
"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob..."
Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.
Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.
The Quality Assurance department at Lucas phoned and advised the Engineering department that they were having trouble with the latest switch design shorting out. So they made the wires longer.
A classic car enthusiast peeked in the windows of a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?". The owner replied, "It doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens anyway!"
Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.
The (little known) reason why the English drink warm beer, is that Lucas also made refrigerators! (submitted by Gene Mallory)

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

2/8/15 12:26 PM

A trip in an MGB

Never owned one myself, but DPotter, who occasionally posts here, owned an A and later a B. Oddly enough, although I'm fully aware of the Lucas reputation, I don't recall him having much in the way of electrical problems.

I do remember us taking a weekend drive in his MGB from central CT to Watkins Glen one October to see the US Grand Prix - about 350 miles one way. Duncan was nervous about the car making it up and back. To bolster his confidence, I made an explicit prediction: the only thing that would break would be his Smith speedometer.

We did have one issue on the drive up. We filled the gas tank at an old time garage in some small village on Rt. 20. The car needed premium due to the engine having been rebuilt with a shaved head, raising the compression. The elderly codger pumping the gas claimed he filled it with hi-test, but within a few miles the engine started coughing and running rough. We had to stop at every opportunity to top up with fresh premium. By the time we got to the Glen the car was running fine again.

So on Monday we drove home. The gas incident aside, the B ran like a champ, but guess what? Somewhere on the return trip, the speedometer failed.

dddd

2/9/15 7:32 PM

Betcha it was water in the gas.

Happened to me when I lived in White Plains, pretty sure it was the station in Mt Kisco that had tanks with high water levels.

I remember the local Audi dealer being slow in diagnosing the problem.
After third day, I went there at night, opened the hood of my 5000s and put the intake back together, then then had an accomplice lift the driveway chain as I drove my Rabbit under it, so as to provide some boost for the Audi's battery.
I got the Audi started, and we took them to my place where I dumped in a quart of methanol. Problem of intermittent stalling (usually on a right-hand exit ramp curve) went away soon after and did not recur. I never heard from or went back to the Audi dealer and wondered what they might have thought happened.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/9/15 8:16 PM

Maybe the problem was

Rt 20. That is one honkin' hilly stretch of road.

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

2/11/15 8:42 AM

Rt 20 in NY

You're right Dan - that road is one huge hill after another. A couple of years later my wife and I went to the Watkins Glen Grand Prix in our VW camper. Going up we'd be flat out in third gear doing about 35 mph. Going down it would be flat out in fourth doing 70ish. Thank goodness long stretches of 20 were four lanes so we seldom backed up traffic on the climbs.

Stili, Rt 20 goes through some beautiful country. I always preferred it to taking the New York State Thruway. In fact, my wife and I revisited the Finger Lake district a couple of years ago for a long weekend of wine sampling in several of the many vinyards. Our Honda CR-V is no speed demon, but it handled the hills just fine.

greglepore

2/11/15 10:06 AM

Why do the Brits dring warm beer? lucas refrigerators

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -