HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

New Bike #?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/14/14 10:15 AM

New Bike #?

Kerry, get that new bike rolling, did I miss something? ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

12/14/14 8:01 PM

On the road again

Got it out on the road November 10, just before the weather went south here. Total road miles = 102. My cutoff temp is about 45 F (depending on wind and sunshine) and so I got 2, 34 mile rides in on November 10, 11. Then we had 19 inches of snow and since it has been either cold or wet or both. I got another ride in on November 30 to bring the total up to 102.

Being all bundled up in cold weather gear kind of gets in the way of fully assessing the ride, but it feels pretty good. I hadn't expected a big change because of past experiences: when I went from a Columbus SL steel bike to a custom Columbus SLX steel bike to a Litespeed Vortex I noticed little difference. They all rode about the same. The Linskey does make different sounds because of the bigger and thinner walled tubing, but probably the only thing I can report is that using 25mm tires front and rear is a bit calmer ride than my Vortex (25mm front, 23 mm rear just waiting for the rear to wear out).

The Vortex is now my roller bike and warm weather and long rides will tell the tale on what changes the Linskey demonstrates.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/14/14 9:01 PM

Pictures?

Have you commented on how that OC rear rim built up and what you thought of it. You used an A23 OC, right?

KerryIrons

12/15/14 8:22 PM

Photogenic

Yes, I should get around to taking a picture, if only for insurance purposes. I'm not a "bikes are jewelry" kind of guy so it has not been a priority but I'll get to it.

The wheels went together just fine: A23 front and A23OC rear. You may remember some comments from me about tire width on the A23 vs. Velocity Aerohead (a 25mm Conti GP 4000s is 1 mm wider on the A23). The only "challenge" with the A23 was that I needed to use rim tape instead of VeloPlugs. I ordered a couple of different brands of rim tape and installed the Calfee green 23 mm tape - single layer.

The wheels were nearly dead true just by threading each spoke to the same point and then giving 4 extra turns to the DS spokes on the rear wheel. Grease on the threads and on the nipples where they contacted the rim. Zero pings when I took the wheels on the road (normal for me in wheel builds). Used DT Revolutions all around.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/15/14 9:04 PM

"Used DT Revolutions all around."

I know you have said already, but how much do you weigh again?

Last edited by Sparky on 12/16/14 8:43 PM; edited 1 time in total

KerryIrons

12/16/14 8:12 PM

The weight

175-180 lbs.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -