HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Black Friday International

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave B

11/27/14 11:42 AM

Black Friday International

I got an e-mail ad this morning advertising a "Black Friday" sale from Ribble Cycles.

Now Ribble is a UK company and, as far as i know, the Brits don't celebrate Thanksgiving, at least not the 4th Thursday in November. So "Black Friday" should have no meaning there unless our orgy of buying has spread well beyond out shores.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

11/28/14 9:20 AM

It's apparently gone global

I've received Black Friday announcements from other UK vendors as well. Then again, it's possible that they only send these emails to US customers...

It only makes sense that they would cater to our annual feeding frenzy (which I avoid like the plague!).

Reply to topic    

April

11/28/14 5:24 PM

quote:
...our annual feeding frenzy (which I avoid like the plague!)

I had a good size list of items I wore out and need replacing by the time I got to the end of the season (November). Instead of start hunting down the best prices in early November, I decided to wait for the "holiday sales". Whether it's "Black Friday" or "pre-Christmas sale" or "end of season sale", there's definitely a lot more competition right now than 3 weeks ago!

Why pay more for the same item?

Dave B

11/29/14 9:02 AM

quote:
I had a good size list of items I wore out and need replacing by the time I got to the end of the season...

Well the "feeding frenzy" comment is about shoppers who are buying or over buying things that aren't really needed but think they can't pass up a "bargain".

Buying what is really needed at the best price isn't the issue.

April

11/29/14 9:49 AM

I took the "feeding frenzy" at its literal meaning, to merely indicate the manner not the end result, of the Black Friday buying "experience".

While there're some people who buy things they absolutely don't need because it's a bargain, many more only buy what they could use. I know I'm not the only one who delay buying non-urgent items until the holiday sale period. Many of my friends and their family do the same. The snow shovel handle is rotting? Well, make do till Black Friday. The space heater is not keeping the garage warm enough? It won't be that cold at Thanksgiving anyway, so let's wait... etc.

More over, there's a grey area between "need" and "un-need" that I call "delayed need", for consumables such as tubes and tires, to cassettes and chains, to shorts and gloves. I have tendency to not buy things until I really need them. But sometimes that results in my having to buy something I really, really NEED at close to full price 2 months after the big sale I passed up back in the holiday sale.

It reminds me of the credit card advice: keep only one card! Well, for people who can't control their spending, that's a good advice. But for those of us who don't have a problem, that doesn't help. Some of us actually prefer to have more than one card for bookkeeping reason.

Black Friday, from the retailers' perspective, it's just one day of the year many more people will be out shopping regardless. So they're trying to win them over their competitors. Just because some percentage of the population buy too much stuff they don't need on that day doesn't mean the rest of us can't take advantage of the deals.

So no, I don't avoid it. I embrace it. :D

(though I have to admit, I haven't bought even 10% of my list yesterday! The deals doesn't seem to be that good)

April

11/29/14 9:59 AM

Back to the title of the thread. Apparently, the Brits doesn't seem to have a "national shopping day" like us Americans. So some retailers are trying to create one, despite them not celebrating Thanksgiving.

Alibaba, the Chinese eBay equivalent, created their own "national shopping day" call the "Single's Day".

Perhaps, as the sole female of this forum, I'm the only one who actually ENJOY SHOPPING as an "activity". Walking down the street of Manhattan (or Danbury Fair Mall), is perfectly enjoyable as hiking in Pound Ridge Park, my neighborhood park. I put in good mileage by the end of the day, with something in my hands coming through the door of my house too. ;-)

Brian Nystrom

11/29/14 1:26 PM

The Brit's DO have a shopping day...

...which is also "celebrated" in Canada. It's "Boxing Day", which is the day AFTER Christmas.

Personally, I buy almost everything on sale, generally out of season. I'm fine with shopping, though I generally find more bargains for Linda than myself, since her petite size is common in the leftovers at the end of any season. I imagine that you're in the same situation, April.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/29/14 2:06 PM

"Boxing Day"

Thanks, sez Brit wife sitting besides me. ;)

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

11/29/14 4:30 PM

I only hit up one Black Friday Deal.

Moonshine from a local distillery was 30% off and I grabbed a quart for an old friend I met here.

Odd, doorbuster prices on moonshine.

April

11/29/14 4:59 PM

quote:
I generally find more bargains for Linda than myself, since her petite size is common in the leftovers at the end of any season. I imagine that you're in the same situation, April.

Depends.

When I used to lived in the midwest, I was a 5'4 midget (I think the average Midwestern women are something like 5'8). So I almost always found great left over deals. In fact, I got into a habit of waiting till the last piece, because chances are good no one else would fit in my size anyway.

Now in the New York metro area, I'm a lot closer to the average population size-wise, so my size actually goes pretty fast as soon as it got into the left over bin!

On the horizontal dimension: In the cycling clothing front, I'm in the most in demand size! So my size (M) was the first to disappear BEFORE it even got discounted! While when it comes to ski gear, I have better luck on finding my size in the left over bin.

Street clothes, I actually have good luck in the teens department. I often shop there (inappropriate fashion/design aside)

Brian Nystrom

11/29/14 9:10 PM

I thought you were shorter

Linda's only 5'1" on a good day. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

11/30/14 2:13 AM

quote:
When I used to lived in the midwest, I was a 5'4 midget (I think the average Midwestern women are something like 5'8). So I almost always found great left over deals.

I've picked up a lot of really good deals on bikes for my wife over the years due to her small stature - she's 5'2". I think the first was not long after we met in the 1980s, when I picked up a 49cm SLX DeRosa for about half price because the shop had had it on the floor for at least a couple of years.

Reply to topic    

April

11/30/14 8:44 AM

I have quite a few friends significantly shorter than me (at least 2 comes to mind who are shorter than 5'). They had a heck of a hard time finding bikes that fit. And most shops also don't stock any extra small, never mind women's extra small.

I consider myself to be in the "best" height range! Tall enough to find stuff that fits. But short enough to take advantage of left over odd sizes. ;-)

Except I have small hands and feet for my height. So I had a more difficult time finding my shoe size in stock. Brake levers...? Well, I had learned to just accept the trade-off on power vs reach.

Brian Nystrom

12/2/14 6:24 AM

Disk brakes are the great equalizer

Once they become ubiquitous on road bikes, issues with lever reach will be eliminated. That's already the case with MTBs. With disks, you can have all the power you want with whatever reach you need.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -