HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

a new take on my off-season training

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
walter

11/16/14 5:33 PM

a new take on my off-season training

so i started my annual off-season gym work a couple weeks back. pushing plates of iron around mixed in with some running miles, old school stuff is my normal off-season M/O.

but over the weekend i worked with a trainer, doing some other stuff to mix things up. agility work, balance work, core work. only 60 minutes, but man i got my ass kicked!

first, being a cyclist...i have like zero foot-eye coordination anymore. normally i play a good bit of tennis to get some of that, but it's been more than a few years. i was moving around like i have 2 left feet and 10 big toes! and my core...just pathetic!

second, i'm beat to sh!t now, but in a good eye-opening way. back sore, abs sore, legs sore. glutes sore. hip flexors sore. it's all sore and more to come!

third, bagging an acre's worth of leaves today was a tough follow-up act.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

11/16/14 5:42 PM

"being a cyclist...i have like zero foot-eye coordination anymore."

LOL, that is just funny to me. ;)

We have set up 256SF front section of my shop as an exercise studio. I had insulated and got some adequate heat wired in over the summer. Just setup both computrainers out there last week. Floor pads, exercise balls, even TV/DVD with some dancing stuff.

Oh, and a DIY static squat/quad machine which I test drove Wednesday. Apparently effective, as I felt like I had done sprinting intervals all day for the next 2-3 days after. ;)

So winter workouts and the learning curve I anticipate should be interesting.

dan emery

11/16/14 6:09 PM

Different winter for me

Usually I commute through the winter, but don't do much other riding, doing snowshoeing, XC skiing, some weights.

This year however, as I've indicated, I'm looking at a very difficult (for me) ride in April, which is usually about when I start riding a road bike. So I'm planning significant Computrainer work over the winter. Goal is endurance and losing some weight. I have the new CT, using it in standalone mode now, will set up the computer stuff when I get the new box shortly. Rode it 2 hours today, not sure I've ever done that before indoors. Not really a data guy, but it is distracting (in a good way) to look at it, and maybe I'll find some use for it. Looking at cadence is probably good discipline for me.

I'll still take advantage of the snow when it comes, and do some weights, but I'm planning lots of indoor riding. We'll see how it goes!

And I don't have to coop up the dogs if I'm riding at home.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/16/14 6:21 PM

BTW, the Spin scan on the CT I found useful to the extreme early season.

Also, cold room a good idea I am guessing you learned if 2 hours worth. ;)

I am keeping the Studio @ 55^, maybe cooler so we don't have to have too ,any fans going.

Did you use fans with the CT ?

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

11/16/14 7:37 PM

I have been doing a crossfit class twice a week and riding when I can. The cold air is hell on my chest and throat.

I also lift about twice week when I can.

The crossfit stuff cut weight off me or turned it into muscle.

My leg days are often epic with stairs the next day being a huge chore.

You have to take the crossfit stuff in small doses. It can terrible for you if done to much or if you jump in to quickly.

I have biceps now, with veins poking out but I discovered my shoulders are weaker than a 12 YO girl. ugh... (I think due to a bike wreck many years ago)

cyclotourist

11/17/14 11:07 AM

Speed skating

My winter training is short track speed skating. Like a crit on blades--very fun and technical sport. Practice is like interval training--when I get on the bike in the spring I usually have some good gap-closing power.

David

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/17/14 11:14 AM

"Like a crit on blades"

And leg pressed/lifting at the same time I bet.

Brian Nystrom

11/18/14 6:50 AM

That seems like a one-sided sport

How do you avoid asymmetric muscle development?

Reply to topic    

cyclotourist

11/18/14 8:00 AM

asymmetric

With corner cross overs and straight away pushes you actually use both legs about equally, and off-ice training is balanced. It is easy to get unbalanced in your flexibility in hips and upper body since you are only turning left so stretching and such are important to counteract this.

David

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/18/14 10:43 AM

There's a NASCAR 'Left Tuuurrnn' joke someplace, no?

Jesus Saves

11/18/14 11:20 AM

How about a right turn, Clyde?

NASCAR perhaps, but the first thing that comes to mind is when Clint Eastwood's character instructs the chimp to make a turn in Every Which Way But Loose.
And it was the best scene from that movie, too.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i98QrSSHxo4

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/18/14 12:26 PM

OK, I have some serious questions about my use of the new resources we set up and how differently I might ride into the season after winter.

2014 was my best year since NJ. It started with me rolling 300 SS miles after I converted the Strong with the ENO. Then anther 300 miles staying out of the big ring as much as possible. It used to be like 300 total I would stay outta the big ring in the old days. Not sure what the 300 mile of 70ish GI did for that in 2014, but all flat riding.

I did not really use the CT last winter due to getting out pretty much a lot on the SS. I loafed in December. Not doing that this winter. I consider the 2 rides a week for the last month my loafing for 2014 and done.

So how should I plan for the early 2015 road rolling after probably getting the 300 mile per mo on the CT for 12/14 and 1-15 if all goes right ? And also, the bigger diff this winter will be the squats and core work planned. Not sure how that will effect my rolling longer ride outside for 2015 after weather beaks. Yep, planning ahead for a change. ;)

I will be doing some outside rides here and there on disc roubaix, gravel and 29er as well.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -