View posts since last visit

Well if you are going to overcome panic responses

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

10/30/14 9:34 AM

Well if you are going to overcome panic responses

Then do it on a bike:

http://www.boston.com/health/2014/10/30/showdown-imminent-over-nurse-quarantine-maine/MhbKBGsZ3NnBZ903syb5dK/story.html?p1=Topopage:Test_B:Main_headline

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/30/14 10:45 AM

Yeah

Don't mess with a girl from The County!

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

10/30/14 11:33 AM

She's so far north in Maine, the reporters are probably pissed at finding themselves out in the back of beyond.

Good for her is my opinion. She never had a temperature and never should have been put in the hospital in NJ. Friggin politicians, Cuomo's no better then Christie in all this, and no comment on Maine's Gov'.

Reply to topic    

April

10/30/14 12:00 PM

Someone should find her some woodsy single track in the area, where the police cruiser can't follow, to lose herself for an hour or two...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

10/30/14 5:10 PM

Need an expert for that...

April, I think she can probably find some woods around Fort Kent. :) She could lose herself for as long as she wants....

Steve B, you don't like Gov. LePage? I must say the Maine Gov. race this year is the most fascinating political contest I have seen.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/30/14 5:52 PM

I think she needs to get over herself frankly..

Also think if it was not so close to poll time they would have got some judge to issue a warrant for her.

Last edited by Sparky on 10/30/14 6:04 PM; edited 1 time in total

April

10/30/14 6:01 PM

I like the idea she can go places police couldn't follow. She clearly wasn't trying to evade the police nor was she trying to come into contact with the public. Just challenging a quarantine that's not justified by medical knowledge

Now the question is, what are they doing with her boyfriend? Is he allowed to come and go freely?

If he's free to go to work, then come home, presumably kiss this "Ebola" girl (or more), and go to work again the next day, what's the point of keeping her quarantined? But the state also had no ground to keep HIM quarantined... you know what I mean.

There's absolutely no logic to this whole thing!

Steve B.

10/30/14 6:10 PM

"Steve B, you don't like Gov. LePage? I must say the Maine Gov. race this year is the most fascinating political contest I have seen."

Only so far as he's reacting the same way as Cuomo and Christie on the issue with this nurse, total political decision, not based on any actual facts or logic. Other then that he's a bit of a gas bag, likes to toot his own horn and I don't agree with about everything he stands for. Other then that I guess he's OK.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/31/14 5:03 AM

Go Girl!

Stick your thumb firmly in the eye of idiot politicians with no respect for science and medical experts! Live your life as you see fit, based on sound reasoning. Run for President in a couple of years; we could use somebody with common sense and a backbone!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/31/14 2:10 PM

Well they did go to a judge

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/31/health/us-ebola/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

And the best new slogan from the Gov. campaign:

"If you want LePage to take a hike,

You've got to vote for Mike!"

From an independent group, not the Michaud campaign, but I like it.

Reply to topic    

PLee

10/31/14 4:14 PM

quote:
From an independent group, not the Michaud campaign, but I like it.

I call BS. As a result of recent Supreme Court decisions, we've been swamped with ads put together by "independent" groups. You don't have to donate to a candidate's campaign anymore, you just donate to an "independent" group that will plaster the airways with garbage supporting your candidate. And there's no limit on how much you can contribute.

Campaigns are spending a lot of time figuring out how they can coordinate with these "independent" groups without getting caught.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/31/14 4:26 PM

Well sure

I'd prefer no such groups either. But as long as the right wingers have the Koch Brothers, liberals may as well have some counterpart.

I meant I like the slogan, not the group.

Outside interests from both sides are pouring lots into the Maine race. Christie is practically living in Maine to support LePage.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/31/14 5:09 PM

"I call BS. As a result of recent Supreme Court decisions"

Yeah, that is all kinds of buying election bullshit. Democratic union... my ass!!

Sparky

10/31/14 5:23 PM

"Well they did go to a judge"

And the exact opposite thing probably would have happened if not for elections... I'd bet on it! ;)

Maybe higher court will over turn that ruling after Tuesday...

dan emery

10/31/14 5:37 PM

Ummm

District Court Judges aren't elected in Maine. What does the election have to do with it? Brian is conservative and opposes the quarantine. Gov. LePage is conservative and favors it. Maine judges tend to call them as they see them.

No expert here, but I haven't seen scientific opinion in favor of the quarantine.

Reply to topic    

April

10/31/14 6:57 PM

quote:
I haven't seen scientific opinion in favor of the quarantine.

I see a lot of political reason in favor of it!

It's election time. Politicians want to appear to be "doing something"!

Even when the court shuts it down, they can still claim to have done something (and just blame the judge for that something to be actually nothing).

Science has nothing to do with it.

Brian Nystrom

11/1/14 8:39 AM

"Political reason" is an oxymoron...

...though obviously I'm taking that out of context.

You're right, this is just typical "feel good" legislation that does absolutely nothing to protect public safety, similar to a certain "hot button" topic here that will go unnamed until our inevitable annual debate during the depths of winter. As you say, it just gives politicians the opportunity to claim that they're doing something even when they know that they haven't done a damned thing.

Right Erik? ;-)

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -