HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Pedals with selection of axle lengths

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

10/21/14 2:41 AM

Pedals with selection of axle lengths

I know that Keywin make longer axles as an option for their road pedals - I have a pair of the +6mm axles for the Keywin pedals on my race bike. Does anyone similarly offer extra length axles for MTB pedals? I get quite frequent heel strike on the crank on my touring bike fitted with Eggbeaters, and I'm looking for a pedal with longer axle and that uses cleats that fit MTB/Touring shoes.

Or does anyone know of a table anywhere that gives axle length for different pedals? One or two of the manufacturers do give this information (usually distance from the cleat centre to the shoulder of the spindle where it attaches to the crank, but most don't.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/21/14 5:32 AM

Speedplay offers several lengths, but...

...only on road pedals.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

10/21/14 7:25 AM

Pedal Extenders

I had heard of "knee savers" in the past, but a quick google doesn't turn them up. However, it does turn up Sunlite Pedal Extenders, which apparently come in a range of sizes. You screw these into the crank and then screw the pedals into the extenders. Might help?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Andy M-S

10/21/14 7:28 AM

Oh, wait...

Here they are:

http://www.kneesaver.net/ecommerce/

Nick Payne

10/21/14 2:35 PM

Yes, I had a look at those kneesavers, but they're the equivalent of adding 20mm to the axle, which is too much. An extra 6mm would be enough, and after a bit more searching, I've found these pedals are available with either +6mm or +12mm axles: http://rideissi.com/ .

Unfortunately, despite looking as though they are SPD-compatible, they apparently will not work with SPD cleats...

Reply to topic    

Brian Kelly

10/21/14 5:28 PM

I'm surprised that the Issi pedals aren't SPD compatible. They appear to be a customized version of a stock pedal from Wellgo:

http://en.wellgopedal.com/products_detail_5_463.htm

Almost all of the Wellgo pedals used to be compatible with SPD (though at least one of their cleat designs was not). The Wellgo doesn't list the cleat it uses, so it may not be the 98A that has been SPD compatible.

dddd

10/26/14 11:03 AM

I'm guessing that you meant that the ISSI pedal might not use the 98A cleat, which is a possibility. Wondering if this vendor has any contact info about this(?).

Often a pedal vendor will approve only their own cleat btw, when others seem to work ok.

I use Wellgo and Bulletproof-branded SPD-type pedals with 1/2" threading, for use with 1-piece "Ashtabula" cranks, on my Schwinns. I use Shimano SH51 cleats with several different pairs of shoes, and the Shimano cleats seem to work perfectly, expected because these pedals come with 98A cleats.
On my other bikes, I use Shimano pedals, either MTB type or SPD-SL.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -