HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

6 Days on a Domane…and a "Spin" Up Mont Ventoux

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

6/29/14 6:59 AM

6 Days on a Domane…and a "Spin" Up Mont Ventoux

Linda and I just returned from our latest cycling adventure, Trek Travel's "Provence Explorer" ride through the hills and towns of southern France. We sandwiched the trip itinerary between a couple of days in Avignon at the beginning so we could acclimate a bit, 4 days in Paris to relax (?) afterward and a 3-day stopover in Iceland.

This is going to be long , so I'll break it up into sections.

Provence:
If you have a desire to ride in France and your goal is not to test yourself on the classic climbs in the Alps or Pyrenees, a trip in Provence is a great way to go. There is plenty of challenging terrain and nearly every village is on top of a hill, but you can do it at a comfortable pace and really enjoy the French country lifestyle and breathtaking scenery. This particular trip itinerary includes multiple stops each day to explore, which was contrary to my normal riding pattern of straight-though or one-stop rides, but it definitely gave you an opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture and history of the area…and the food . We thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it highly. If you have a chance to ride in Provence, do it; you'll love it!

If you're interested in a guided tour, Trek Travel did a great job of putting together wonderful accommodations (including 3 nights in a hotel that was formerly one of the homes of the Marquis de Sade), fabulous food (we're spoiled for life!) and interesting side trips. The guides were great, unwaveringly enthusiastic, informative and supportive when you needed it. We did see several other tour groups, so there are other options if you're looking for a different experience.

Mont Ventoux:
Ventoux is an unrelenting beast of a climb, plain and simple. It's by far the hardest thing I've done since I last rode Mt. Washington 35 years ago. Thanks largely to our long winter and cold, wet spring, I had done nowhere near the training miles necessary to ride this mountain well. The first two days of the trip included several steep, multi-kilometer climbs that really wasted my legs, so they were pretty much dead when I started the Ventoux ascent. That said, I made it to the summit, if only because I was too damned stubborn to quit! It was ugly and I suffered like a dog, but it was worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, as I'd really love to see what it's like to do it when fit and fresh.

We did the classic Tour route up from Bedouin, which doesn't sound too bad on paper, but the numbers are deceiving. It's a 21K (13 mile), 5600' climb at an average of around 8%. However, the first 5K are at 5%, plus or minus a half, which lowers the average and means that the next 16K are steep. You come around a switchback, the grade kicks up to 9.5% and the real fun begins. I would guesstimate that the average for the rest of the climb is around 9.5% and the 9K in the middle averages 10%+. I saw at least 4 sections of 11% and the GPS data indicate some 13% sections, though I don't know if that's accurate.

There are two corners at around the 14K mark where the gradient drops to 3.5% and 4.5% respectively, but only for 20 - 30 meters. When you reach Chalet Reynard at 15K, you can take a break for cup of coffee if you're so inclined, but I think it would make the rest of the climb worse. I did one quick lap around the parking lot, then headed back up the treeless final slopes. It starts off pretty easily at around 7%, but it's just a tease, as it quickly steepens again, though it does back off periodically to reward you for your efforts. At that point, you're at well over 5000' and the temperature has dropped considerably. You may encounter wind and fog as well. It’s also where you start getting assaulted by the enterprising photographers who enthusiastically capture your pain, then hand you a business card (I guess that they generally stick them in your jersey pocket, but I was wearing a Camelback, which seemed to confuse them).

The final 50 meters is a 15% ramp, but at that point with the summit in sight, I didn't even feel it. On top, it's a cyclist's party, with everyone posing for photos at the summit markers and donning warm clothing for the descent. It was ~40 degrees F with fog and a good breeze when I arrived, so after the photos were done, I quickly threw on all of my rain gear and headed down.

The top part of the descent is open and exposed, the road was intermittently damp, there are no guardrails, and I was tired and shivering, so I rode the brakes somewhat and proceeded cautiously. Once past the chalet and into the trees, I could feel the temp rising and when another rider blew past me, I let it roll and had a blast! There aren't many sharp corners on Ventoux and you can generally see pretty far ahead, so you can really let it rip. The tighter corners are well marked, so you know when to moderate your speed. Cyclists pretty much own the mountain, so drivers are courteous and give you a wide berth when passing. Until you're well down the mountain, they can't go any faster than you can and I found that I pulled away from trailing vehicles most of the time. This is one place where I really wish I'd had a video camera.

The Trek Domane:
We rode stock Domane 5.9s, with Ultegra DI2, wide allow rims and 25mm tires. They also supplied us with Garmin "Edge Touring" GPSs with the daily routes pre-programmed.

This is essentially a tale of two bikes, the front half and the back half. The good news is that the back half is a magic carpet ride. The ISO Speed coupler really does a wonderful job of smoothing out rough roads. In fact, the rear end was so muted that I really couldn't tell what the rear tire pressure was. It did occasionally feel slightly bouncy, but it wasn't objectionably so.

The front end can be summed up in one word, harsh . It is ridiculously stiff and in complete contrast with the supple rear end. Even running as low tire pressure as I do at home (low 70s in the front), I couldn’t take the sting out of it. With the wide rims, I could probably have reduced it further, but neither I - nor the guides - were willing to risk denting a rim. Their suggestion for rough roads was to lean back and put more weight on the saddle, which worked to some degree. I did find it interesting that both of them were riding Madones, not Domanes.

Handling-wise, the bike was great. It tracked well in a straight line and with just a bit of pressure on the bars, it carved corners smoothly and held its line well on uneven surfaces. The handling isn't as "intuitive" as my SuperSix, but more time on the bike would solve that and as it was, it had no noticeable vices.

The DI2 was interesting and our first experience with electronic shifting. Shimano users will take to it immediately, but I still found myself hitting the wrong button occasionally, even at the end of the trip (old dog, new tricks). Functionally it's good, but it can be finicky. I twice had problems with the chain jumping cogs, which required recalibrating the computer. It doesn’t perform single-gear shifts any faster than mechanical systems and it's much slower on multi-gear shifts, since you can only shift one gear at a time and the buttons don't react as quickly as mechanical levers (perhaps this is adjustable?). Multi-gear shifts also caused some gnashing of gear teeth at times. Front shifts were generally good, but not noticeably exceptional. I also found that I had trouble developing a feel for how hard you need to push the buttons, but I'm sure that would resolve itself over time. Overall, I don't see any compelling reason to choose Ultegra DI2 over mechanical Ultegra or Dura Ace and I definitely prefer mechanical Campy to it. One of the guides even expressed that she wished they'd go back to mechanical shifting, as it was easier to adjust.

The Garmin Edge Tourings were a mixed bag, as they often became confused. Given the nature of the roads in Provence, it’s somewhat understandable and perhaps the mapping data for France isn't as good as it is for the US. The bottom line is that you need an analog backup (a map and/or cue sheet). However, the displays were generally easy to read without my reading glasses and the audible turn warnings were quite handy. The menu system is somewhat confusing, but I suppose one would get used to it. I won't be replacing my 500 with one any time soon, but if you like to use courses, the 810 is a much better way to go.

Iceland:
OK, this has nothing to do with the initial subject, but I'd be remiss if I didn’t say something. Iceland is everything you might imagine it to be, rugged, fascinating, mysterious and whimsical. We only had a short time there (2 1/2 days), which was just enough of an appetizer to ensure that we'll go back as soon as we can, next time for long enough to get out and explore more of this incredible island.

While we did see a surprising number of cyclist there, most loaded down with panniers and camping gear, I don't know that we'd go there to ride. The roads are good, at least in the "Golden Circle" area that we traveled, but they're narrow and generally lack shoulders. Although the terrain we saw wasn't too bad, the wind is fierce and an inadvertent off-road excursion into the volcanic terrain could result in serious injury. Let's just say that riding in Iceland isn't for the faint of heart. Nick would probably love it! :-)

If you're into photography, bring your best gear, as you'll be in photographic heaven. If you're not a shutterbug, I strongly suggest that you become one before you go.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 6/30/14 10:32 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/29/14 11:24 AM

Yum!

Domane: guy I ride with a bit has one, said the same for the front and rear end. ;)

Roubaix and the Domane get included in said discussions every time.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

6/29/14 12:31 PM

If I was looking for a more comfortable ride...

...which may happen, I'd look at the Synapse first (since I really like my Supersix) and the Roubaix second. The Domane in it's current configuration is not on my short list.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/29/14 12:39 PM

If I was looking for a more comfortable ride...

...which may happen, I'd look at the Synapse first (since I really like my Supersix) and the Roubaix second. The Domane in it's current configuration is not on my short list.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/29/14 12:39 PM

Excellent

Nice write up, thanks. Sounds like a great trip. Great cycling and great food, an outstanding combo. And I've heard Iceland is awesome as well. I'd love to ride some classic Euro climbs, but the best I could do today was "Puke Hill" in Raymond, Maine.

Reply to topic    

walter

6/29/14 12:42 PM

very cool!

thx for sharing :-)

greglepore

6/29/14 1:18 PM

Re the Di2-you do adapt to the buttons, but its does take a bit. Multi shift is available as a firmware change, easily done by laptop if you have the internal battery and correct junction, and works really, really well. A properly set up system is as quick as and more accurate than mechanical.

Sparky

6/29/14 1:38 PM

I like my cables.. there, I said it. ;)

I am only now getting used to how the 10 speed cranks look too. ;O

The TDF preview on the cable seems quite the different format, anyone see?

More thread drift [thinking about the OP only makes me green green green with envy] But yes, thanks so much for sharing!
---
Does the Domane have the bigger lower HS bearing setup. I know the front is steeper than the Roubaix.

I find myself wanting a bit less sponge on the Roubaix, but mine is a 2006. I am sure the newer ones are better, especially the higher modulus +9 fact whatever.

Having said that, I do NOT like the curved tube on the 2006-8 and newer ones. Also not to mention the 75 mile ride on the Scott with the 23/25 GP4s on wider rims et all @ mid/upper 80 lbs pressure was not an issue. And the HMX fiber on the Scott is as stiff as the highest Roubaix/Specialized offering most probably. So anyone could notice...

Back to the Front HTA on the Roubaix, the 2005 has exact GEOM BTW as the current ones. On short spirited rides I find it too lax... for the first few hours anyway. The bike shines mostly for me when I am in the 4th+ hours. Although the 75 miler on the Scoot as slow as I am was well into the hours I can tell you. ;O

Having both the Scott and the Roubaix can only make you want one set in the middle probably. So having different sneakers is obviously the answer. ;)

Nick Payne

6/29/14 2:21 PM

For a story of an interesting bicycle trip across Iceland (the first ever crossing of the interior of the Iceland by any vehicle) see http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=112 (and the original photos with Horace Dall's scribbled notes are here: http://s272714720.websitehome.co.uk/page17/page15/page15.html )

Reply to topic    

greglepore

6/29/14 4:51 PM

Wait til you get a load of the emonda-yeah, all the bikes are anagrams of Madone-10 lbs out of the box, lighter than RcA etc...but likely 15k.

dan emery

6/30/14 6:03 AM

6 Days on a Domane

I got 22 e-gears,
And a Georgia overdrive.
I'm taking little white pills,
And my eyes are open wide.
My tires are startin' to burn,
And I just overcooked a turn,
Six days on a Domane and I'm gonna make it home tonight.

Apologies to Dave Dudley

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

6/30/14 7:09 AM

Gearing?

HI Brian,

Great write up.

What was your gearing on Ventoux?

Reply to topic    

Chris Klaren

6/30/14 8:58 AM

I have a 2 month old Domane and & don't find the ride particularly unbalanced from front to back. Maybe that's because I was used to riding a 15 year old Litespeed Ultimate frame and CAAD 4 and 5 Cannondales for the past 20 years. I have found times however that a combination of road undulations and poor pedaling technique (mashing) causes my butt to bob in the saddle as there must be a low frequency harmonic that is being fed. As discussed on another thread, I like the 11 speed Ultegra.

Reply to topic    

walter

6/30/14 10:16 AM

domane sounds like riding...

...a hard-tail MTB, only reversed.

Brian Nystrom

6/30/14 10:47 AM

Interesting analogy, Walter...

...though it's not quite that extreme. I found the front end to be much harsher than any other bike I've owned or ridden, but I think it's fair to say that it was also at least somewhat stiffer laterally than either my SuperSix HiMod or Look 585, though the difference wasn't huge. I'm sure that there are many people who like this. For example, the glowing review in the latest issue of Road Bike Action is quite different from my impressions.

As Chris pointed out, it depends a lot on what you're used to riding and I suspect that rider weight has a fair amount to do with it, too. Specifically, a heavier rider will likely notice the flex at the seat tube more, which accentuates the difference between the front and rear compliance. I'm not huge at 170#, but I may be heavier than Chris. Frame size and how Trek changes the frame for each size would also have an effect. FWIW, I was riding a 58cm frame. I would also imagine that there are differences between the 4, 5 and 6 series framesets.

As for the gearing, the stock setup is a 50/34 compact crank with an 11-28 cassette, but they had a 30 tooth cassette that they installed for me for Ventoux (I knew that I was going to need it). The rear derailleur didn't like it, but it worked OK after considerable tweaking. For some reason, the chain started jumping around the next morning and they ended up swapping back to original cassette, which was fine for the rest of the ride. The fact that it worked on the mountain was all I cared about.

My issues with DI2 were relatively minor and wouldn't likely be a problem on a bike that I owned and configured to my liking. I just didn't find the overall performance to be a significant improvement over mechanical shifting, certainly not enough to justify the cost and added weight. For a given bike weight, I think I'd opt disk brakes and mechanical shifting over DI2 and rim brakes.

I would like to try Campy EPS and the new SRAM electronic system for comparison. EPS functions essentially the same as mechanical Campy, which is what I currently use (10 speed), so I expect that I'd adapt to it very quickly. The SRAM system is intriguing and it paves the way for a future two-button road shifting configuration (one for up and one for down) that automatically changes the front as necessary, like the MTB system that Shimano recently announced. I'm not certain that I would like that, but it sounds interesting if nothing else.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 6/30/14 11:07 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/30/14 10:59 AM

Dan, you missed your calling perhaps. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 6/30/14 4:17 PM; edited 1 time in total

Chris Klaren

6/30/14 1:22 PM

I guess I neglected to mention that I am a full figured cyclist, at about 200 lbs or so, which likely contributed to the seat tube movement. My Domane is 58 cm.

Reply to topic    

April

6/30/14 3:02 PM

thanks for sharing, Brian

Enjoyed every word!

April

6/30/14 4:04 PM

Mileage and verticle?

What's the daily mileage and verticle is like?

The website shows only 40mi/2100'/day but from the sound of your report the riding were more than the numbers suggest.

Sparky

6/30/14 7:35 PM

Domane VS ...

How about Specialized upping the game with the CG-R carbon seat post in addition to the Roubaix.

"design allows 18mm of vertical compliance"

Like to try one, as well as ride a Domane.

Brian Nystrom

7/1/14 6:02 AM

Check out this post from Culprit

I think we may be seeing a new trend in road seaposts. On the surface, it seems like one of those "why didn't I think of that?" ideas.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

7/1/14 6:36 AM

Hmm.

The CGR reminds me of Nashbar post from 15 years or so ago; it was alloy and used a mechanical pivot, but the idea--a compressible cushion--worked the same way.

As for the Culprit...

No.

I just see too many scary possibilities. But then, I weigh c. 200#. The idea of riding on that razor's edge is a little disquieting.

But that's my initial reaction. Looking at it more seriously, it looks like a very impressive idea. If the materials are well up to it (and I suspect they are, at least for non-plus-sized riders) it might be interesting.

Sparky

7/1/14 10:00 AM

Other alternative seat post 'comfort' designs include the Syntace P6 Carbon HiFlex and Ergon's CF3.

Domane / Roubaix review page:
http://www.roadbikeaction.com/ARCHIVE-TECH--BIKE-TESTS/content/66/6373/RBA-Shootout-The-Kings-of-Comfort.html

Brian Nystrom

7/1/14 10:20 AM

I really like the Ergon design...

...since the saddle angle doesn't change as the post flexes. I do wonder if it will tend to squeak or work it's way down into the frame over time. One problem with both of these posts is the price, as I have a hard time with spending $250-$300 on a post.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/1/14 10:35 AM

April...

The PDF of the itinerary provides more details: http://www.trektravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/14PR-E.pdf

We did the "Avid" option each day, which includes more mileage and a lot more climbing (226 and 19,270, respectively), than the "Basic" route. The actual routes we rode differed a bit from the descriptions, as the guides constantly tweak them to make them more interesting and to deal with road conditions/construction and such.

For example, I noticed that our route on Day 2 actually had 600' more climbing than is listed in the itinerary.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -