Andy M-S

4/25/14 12:58 PM

double post

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Wheels

4/25/14 11:09 PM

Sort of works.

I have fixed the shift problems of the longer lever that shifts down (smaller to larger cog), but the smaller lever that shifts up (large to small gear) carries the larger lever lever with it. In other words I can't shift the smaller lever buy itself. It does actuate, but it doesn't move independently. To shift it, I have to hold the larger lever and push the smaller lever. It has done this before and I dealt with it and it wasn't really an issue as I wasn't racing and need the quick shift.

I hit it with more WD-40 to see if I can further address it. We'll see tomorrow.

Wheels.

Reply to topic    

dddd

4/26/14 9:41 AM

The symptom you just described sounds like a broken-off tip of the anti-carryover latch, which is actually part of the small lever, up past it's pivot point.

This is the death of so many 9s brifters, I can tell you.

On some occasions, however, where there is noticeable gumminess to the small lever's action, the small lever can get "gummed" to the big lever.
Diagnostic for the latter condition is the temporary application of heat or WD40 to this pivot region, which, if not remedial, signals the need for a new brifter.

The tip of the small lever gets broken off when the two levers are accidentally pushed forcefully at the same time, since the anti-carryover latch is supposed to prevent the large lever from moving when the small lever has already moved a small amount. Often this happens under stressful riding conditions, or when poor cabling masks the high effort that it takes to actually damage the latching tip of the small lever.

Cannibalizing parts from a similar shifter with a different issue/failure is the only way to fix this problem.

Reply to topic    

Wheels

5/7/14 9:17 PM

BRIFTER UPDATE

So I went out for a ride today after many WD-40 and relube cycles on the brifter. The good news is that the downshift (smaller cog--> larger cog) is fixed. The bad news is the reverse (small inner shift lever)is shot, It moves a little but then starts to bring the larger lever with it and not shift/catch. If I hold the larger lever, I can move the smaller shifter and shift.

So I need a new brifter, but at least I can make it "work" for now.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -