HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Bib Cycling Shorts Question

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tom Price

4/27/14 10:01 AM

Bib Cycling Shorts Question

Many of the name brand cycling shorts are now well north of $100. I find it hard to lay out that kind of money for shorts. I have several older pairs that are at the end of their life and must be replaced for modesty reasons. The best shorts that I purchased in the last few years are from ProBike Kit and they were for around $50. PBK is going to a new supplier and will not have their new shorts until June. Also the new supplier probably will have a different cut and material.

What are your favorite bib shorts for $75 or less?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sanrensho

4/27/14 12:03 PM

My preferences are Hincapie and Castelli. If you know your size, you can often find discounts by monitoring eBay and Chainlove. Classic Cycling always has good deals.

I've never paid more than $75, and the Hincapie bibs that are my mainstays are team quality (completely different from the lower-end Hincapie bibs that I once mistakenly bought).

Last edited by sanrensho on 4/27/14 12:42 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/27/14 12:33 PM

I usually get last years versions, and always done well getting 50% off the over 100.00+ retail area. LG previous stock up, 4 pairs lasted a long time. And actually got some Serfas gel over the winter I like 55% off. Although the gel concerns me for when it gets hot as not as breathable as non gels.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

4/27/14 5:18 PM

Get on amazon and surf some cheap ones up.

sandiway

4/27/14 10:02 PM

quote:
Many of the name brand cycling shorts are now well north of $100.

I've also noticed that cycling clothing has gone way up in recently years. I was in the Pearl Izumi outlet store in PHX recently. And I was shocked by the high prices on some very ordinary shorts. And they want over $100 for jerseys...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/27/14 11:08 PM

Every garment Elaine and I wear on bikes was 50-80+% off MSRP.

You might be able to still get some of last years styles for med/high discounts from Nashbar, pricepoint, and/or Blueslycycling.

Bluesky example:

Blue Sky Cycling Pro Comfort 10 Panel Shorts
MSRP $70.00
Our Price
Save: $25.02 (36% Off)

Link:http://www.blueskycycling.com/product7121_28_-Blue-Sky-Cycling-Pro-Comfort-10-Panel-Shorts.htm

__
Worth a mention, I got Elaine some Origin 8 Shorts from the bike shop I used to work at, the Saturday guy still gives me hefty discounts. They sell them for $55.00 which is actually not bad for a LBS and for the quality. I paid 30.00 and think even for 55.00 they are quite nice/decent quality. So the upper end Origin 8 stuff probably worth a look and all over Amazon.

EDIT: Jensonusa also...

Mavic Sprint Shorts 2013

$44.95 55% off $99.95 msrp

Link:http://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Shorts/Mavic-Sprint-Shorts-2013

Dave B

4/28/14 6:46 AM

quote:
....was 50-80+% off MSRP.

MSRP is fiction most places for most products so that's not much help.

sandiway

4/28/14 11:12 AM

Close-outs are yesterday's MSRPs?

I think bike clothing is going or has gone the way of women's clothing; in other words, ridiculous MSRPs and 50% is commonplace, with close-outs reaching 80% off...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/28/14 11:23 AM

"MSRP is fiction"

Disagree there, new current stuff goes for MSRP or close. And of course cycling, nearly as much as ski gear, has a shortish seasonal selling peak.

I still will buy the stuff with the highest MSRP, especially in shorts. I have Louis Garneu [sp?] with years of use that MSRP was 154.00. All under 55.00 to me when appropriated. Good performance, long lasting, etc. Although I have been sorely disappointed with more PerIzu stuff than anything else. So I won't touch that shit unless it is 20 cents on the $$.

I do have one shell made by PI, the only one PI bike garment I have had that with only some seam re-sewing is still going strong @ 15 years old. But you don't wear shell year round, so 1/4 years of use. ;)

I have one bib, Lululemon Athletics which are very good quality. Saxobank/Specialized hello all over them. They where given to me so no idea of price point, but suspect higher price point by the quality. Well made and great fit, and nice low front easy you get the business done on the road when needed.

Dave B

4/28/14 1:20 PM

That's My Point

quote:
I still will buy the stuff with the highest MSRP, especially in shorts. I have Louis Garneu [sp?] with years of use that MSRP was 154.00. All under 55.00 to me when appropriated.

That $154 MSRP is absurd and I wonder how many riders paid anywhere near that much. The $55 you paid (36% of "MSRP") confirms my point that MSRP is fiction. LG and the retailer still made money at the $55 price.

Sandiway is right. Clothing of all types are following the women's clothing pricing model. Stratospheric MSRP's and then give them a huge discount to make them think they are getting a bargain. Ever been to an "Indian Jewelry Trading Post" in the far West and Southwest? Same pricing structure.

Andy M-S

4/28/14 1:33 PM

Sparky...

Um, do you have wheel suckers when you wear your Lululemons?

Sparky

4/28/14 1:34 PM

The LBS sold them for 145.00, that is how I discovered them, had a few high end items for those special customers. ;) The ones that ordered the top of the line Giant D/A bike etc.

I had a deal where I got stuff for cost for free support of a dual computrainer system. So I figured 55.00 was what he paid, maybe he put in a little shipping into the each price. I had that deal with several shops with the computrainers. But mainly got stuff from the one LBS as we rode out of there a lot until I moved out of state, yada. but basing my comments on this FWIW.

Anthony Smith

4/30/14 7:43 AM

Custom

Call Alan at PyroApparrel. Nice clothing, reasonably priced and he does custom

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/30/14 9:48 AM

Um, do you have wheel suckers when you wear your Lululemons?"

Are they something other than clothes ?

Andy M-S

4/30/14 11:40 AM

WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304527504579174122542958470

sanrensho

4/30/14 11:45 AM

I wonder who made those shorts for Lululemon. Because they certainly weren't made in-house. What was the country of manufacture?

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -