CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

What a difference a year makes. Tandem content.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/20/14 10:18 PM

What a difference a year makes. Tandem content.

Elaine and I took the Ibis [Tandem] out for a 30 miler. She has not really ridden more than a few times this year so far. She likes to wait for the really nice weather. Mid 65-8^ today is about the bottom for her.

Anyway, last year I talked her into the clipless when I got her the Madone. And she loves them now. As a stoker, it is evident the improvement in her pedaling to me up front. I am about 1k miles ahead of her, and the tandem is the perfect equalizer to still go fast, but without her feeling like she is always trying to keep up. I was impressed with her
pedaling today.

The Ibis has Specialized 26C tires, ran 95 max pressure in the back, 90 up front. The bike rides really a lot better than I expected. But the tires are old and dry, so need to get something else on there before any descents.

Anyone running the Gatorskins or Hardshells? Seem like the 28C would be a good choice. Hardshell rear, ultra front maybe ? Thoughts?

Sandi, what tire on your new tandem ?

Last edited by Sparky on 4/20/14 11:40 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

4/20/14 11:33 PM

Panaracer RiBMo 26x1.25"

I run Panaracer RiBMo 26x1.25" at 95 psi.

On Saturday, on an out-and-back, we only went 2.5 miles up Mt Lemmon to the first vista point. But the descent down was nice, and included a hairpin turn. Because I'm still learning the tandem, I feathered the brakes a little bit just before the turn. But next time, I won't brake at all. Leaning over was a blast.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/20/14 11:42 PM

"Panaracer RiBMo"

They make those in 28x700s and bigger. How is the feel of them? What kind of pressures you using?

Reading some review, seems folks claim the squeal, but maintain a good rip, they squeal for you when you pushed them over? ;)

sandiway

4/21/14 12:00 AM

No squeal

When they wear out, I'll put on something else courtesy of Pete Hausner.

The Wound-Up (disc) fork is really solid on braking and cornering. It's not a noodle like the Look HSC 3 I've got on my Ghisallo.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/21/14 12:19 AM

"Look HSC 3"

Yeah, I took my HSC3 off the Strong in favor of a steel straight blade when I did the SS conversion. The HSC3 makes for a comfortable ride though... I had an AME on it too, the steel is in the middle. The straight blade AME is the stiffest thing I have ridden...

Last edited by Sparky on 4/22/14 2:38 AM; edited 1 time in total

dddd

4/21/14 6:54 PM

I remember a friend's old Look TVT carbon bike from the 1980's, had the flexiest fork ever.
I guess that Look liked the flexible design enough to keep it around for a while.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/22/14 2:44 AM

The EX had a long head tube, I did not cut the steer tube on the fork Carl made. the Grammo threadless cover it just, no spacers. Imagine a 1" carbon steer tube that long? The bike was a wanderer. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -