HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT - Go Huskies!

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Pat Clancy

4/7/14 8:32 AM

OT - Go Huskies!

UConn is in both NCAA BB finals. I'm worried about the men. They got to the finals with three successive upsets, but now they are the (mild) favorite - at least based on the seedings. I haven't seen what the oddsmakers are predicting.

The women? They're not a shoe-in. Notre Dame will be tough even with the loss of Natalie Achonwa. They sure spanked Maryland. But after a rocky start, we handled Stanford fairly easily and I think the team will be pulling to give Geno his record setting 9th championship. In a perfect world (for me), UConn will win by a wide enough margin to be decisive, but narrow enough to keep it interesting. After all the hype of the unbeatens meeting in the finals, a blow-out either way won't be good for women's basketball.

Go Huskies!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

4/7/14 9:13 AM

Plus 1

I too would like to see the Huskies sweep. I would not bet on the men - Kentucky is low seeded because they are all freshmen and lost a bunch at the beginning of the year, but they probably will all be in the NBA in a year or 2. I'm rooting for the Huskies though.

The women's game should be great, and I agree it is not a shoo-in, Notre Dame is very good. I love the Huskies' running game and pressure D; and I think Stewart is the most talented woman player yet. But man, McBride and Loyd are good too. Should be awesome.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

4/7/14 9:35 AM

Another Connecticut resident here, but not a native (only been here 24 years - it seems it takes at least 2 generations to be accepted as a real nutmegger). I can't bring myself to root for UConn -- my wife and I both went to grad school at Georgetown -- and the overwhelming success of the women's program for years, plus the obnoxiousness of the previous men's coach, were always a bit off-putting anyway.

BUT, Kevin Ollie seems thoroughly likeable, and a really effective coach who is genuinely loved by his players. This success in only his second season (especially considering working under sanctions last season) is remarkable. So I wish him and them well.

To be fair, Auriemma seems to be loved by his players, too. But I think women's college basketball badly needs some more balance (to put it mildly).

Could be a couple of good games.

Brian Kelly

4/7/14 9:24 PM

UCONN!!! UCONN!!! UCONN!!!

One down, one to go...

GO HUSKIES!!!

Dave B

4/8/14 7:05 AM

quote:
Another Connecticut resident here, but not a native (only been here 24 years - it seems it takes at least 2 generations to be accepted as a real nutmegger)

That sounds like some of the places in West Virginia where, after you move there, you are "the new people" for the next 100 years.

Pat Clancy

4/8/14 9:10 PM

And it's a clean sweep for UConn!

For only the second time in NCAA history, one school has both the men's and women's BB championship. The first time? UConn in 2004!

dan emery

4/9/14 6:21 AM

Great Team

I wish ND had Ochonwa, it could have been an epic game. Geno had Stewie and Dolson post up, and that was pretty much it.

The Lady Huskies are really a great team. Sure, they are overloaded with talent, but I can forgive them for that because they play such a great team game (like all the great Lady Husky teams). And Stewie is redonkulous.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

4/9/14 9:26 AM

Yeah, it would have been more fun to watch if it were closer.

But I'll admit I was touched by Auriemma crying during the post-game interview. He seems to have a special feeling for this group. For such hard chargers, they all seem rather sweet.

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

4/9/14 9:37 AM

Kirk sez....

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/9/14 10:20 AM

rather sweet

That reminds me of a great commercial I saw years ago featuring the iconic UConn point guard Sue Bird (one of my favorite point guards ever, male or female). It was a promotional commercial for the WNBA. Sue, who looks and comes across like a choir girl, stared at the camera with a basketball on her hip and said "I'm Sue Bird, and I'm not as sweet as you think I am!"

It was funny, but you still didn't believe it...

Reply to topic    

JohnC

4/9/14 12:17 PM

Speaking of choir girls and boys, I used to sing in my local church choir in Glastonbury, the town where Jennifer Rizotti's mother lives. When she was playing for UConn Jen and her pal Rebecca Lobo occasionally attended Mass together there (Rizotti got married in the church in 1999). The view from the choir loft of the 5'6" Rizotti and the 6'4" Lobo walking in together was funny.

Sparky

4/9/14 1:29 PM

Unconn... LOL

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

4/9/14 3:23 PM

Mehhhhh......

basketball is by far the most annoying sport broadcasted. The constant sneaker squeaks drive me nuts.

How about Flanders?

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -