HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT-computer not "see" a device connected via USB

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

3/29/14 3:54 PM

OT-computer not "see" a device connected via USB

For those who're waiting on the picture of my broken shock, I'm having trouble uploading the picture to the computer to post... (I could e-mail the pix to my computer but I really need to solve this problem)

A couple weeks back, while copying photos from the phone to the computer using a USB cable, I got interrupted by a phone call... the computer asked if I wanted to install some Motorola controll program. While multi-tasking, I wasn't thinking clearly and hit YES. And the program was installed.

Now, the computer doesn't seem to see the phone on the USB port any more!

The program: "MotoCast" doesn't have an uninstall function. Deleting it didn't help. I could go through their site to figure out what to do, or does one of you "kids" have a quick solution on how to just revert the computer back to its "native" control?

Basically, take back control from a program that wants to take charge whenever my phone is connected on the USB.

The program I suppose have some fancy functions which I've yet to miss (since it didn't see my phone at all). I had been fine with just seeing the phone SD card as a disk and copying images over to the computer.

(this is Windows we're talking about)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

3/29/14 5:18 PM

Have you plugged your phone into the computer's USB port and then opened "Windows Explorer" to see if the phone is listed in the file system as an external drive?

Sparky

3/29/14 5:59 PM

Go into the device manager and see if the driver shows a failed condition. Should be under Universal Serial Controller. It should be obvious that condition next to the others there with successfully install drivers in the list.

Have the device unplugged and delete the failed occurrence of the driver via the device manager and reboot. Then after restart, be on the internet and plug in the device and have it look for the driver on the internet and not locally.

If that is not clear enough, tell me what version of the OS yo have etc and I can maybe detail more the operation if you want.

Ciao

Andy M-S

3/29/14 7:43 PM

Uninstall

April, where are you looking for the uninstall function? Everything I've seen (e.g., https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/74466/action/auth) suggests that it should uninstall like most Windows softare (i.e., from the appropriate Control Panel tool) but many programs also have uninstallers in their own directories. Or you could dig into the registry and find the uninstaller that way.

If none of those exist, it suggests to me that the installation didn't complete, and you *might* want to try reinstalling the software.

Or try a DIY remedy like http://www.windowsvc.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=windowsvc&wr_id=14459.

What phone are you using, out of curiosity?

April

3/29/14 10:09 PM

a few answer:

- don't see the drive in Window Explorer
- did the uninstall from control panel, doesn't seem to help (haven't rebooted, in the middle of something else that I need to finish first)

quote:
What phone are you using, out of curiosity?

Motorola Droid II

Phone hasn't been changed since last year. It used to work fine with my computer: plug into the USB and files are visible on the computer. Now, the device is not visible.[/quote]

April

3/29/14 10:09 PM

dp

Sparky

3/29/14 10:42 PM

Try putting the phone in usb teather mode on when usb is plugged in and see if it forces an install pop up maybe...

April

3/30/14 12:42 PM

Shelving the problem for now. Resorting to e-mailing the photo from the phone to the computer! :(

(Got too many things going on that needs to get done today/tomorrow that requires a functioning computer. Don't want to mess up anything else that's still working).

I'll be in the city Monday and can upload the bulk of the picture into my other computer. Will leave diving into the problem till later.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -