HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Mix and match gearing

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

2/9/14 2:18 AM

Mix and match gearing

Campagnolo 11-speed Ergo shifters seem to index perfectly with Shimano 9-speed rear derailleur and cassette. My old Ultegra 9-speed STI shifters were becoming less and less reliable, and my usual fix of shooting Boeshield into the guts of the shifter was no longer having an effect. As the cable pull per gear of a Campagnolo 11-speed Ergo shifter is virtually identical to that of a Shimano 9-speed STI shifter, I purchased a set of Chorus 11-speed shifters for $250 from Wiggle in the UK (that price was actually cheaper than the couple of NOS 9-speed STI that I found on eBay) and fitted them.

The rear derailleur is an XTR 9-speed and the cassette a Shimano 9-speed, and with the Ergo levers the indexing across the cassette seems perfect. There's actually about 0.1mm difference per gear in the cable pull compared to the original Shimano shifters, but the float built into the top jockey pulley on the derailleur seems to absorb this difference without any problem.

I got the idea from the Shimergo page on the CTC web site: http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo

Reply to topic    

dfcas

2/9/14 10:21 AM

Heres a thread I started that echos your results, but includes talk about a triple front derailleur. I think its the best shifting I've ever had.

http://cyclingforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=136174&highlight=#136174

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -