HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Folks are polar bears here, smokes.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

11/24/13 8:23 PM

Folks are polar bears here, smokes.

On my ride to downtown and back I saw all manner of runners, and less so cycling in shorts. A few of both with short sleeves. 50^ as the high, but felt a touch colder to me riding along the river most the way. ;O dew point, I dunno...

I had on arm warmers and a long sleeve jersey, a sleeveless vest, double socks and tights/shorts and a wicking cap under the helmet was not exactly warm. I pushed the entire ride so was generating some heat presumably.

I guess a jogger no wind chill to speak of? Where as Strava says I hit 33 for a max as some point. Certainly more wind chill than a fast runner...

Single speed ride with 66 gear inches, I almost launched off pedaling that speed, no descents. I was passing a group of geared cyclists after drafting them for a touch...

What a great day for a bike ride!

I got more cold seeing these folks dress as such. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

11/25/13 8:01 AM

My rule-of-thumb from when I was also a runner is that cycling is 20° "colder" than running. So for cycling at 50° I'd dress as if I were running at 30°.

PLee

11/25/13 10:20 AM

quote:
So for cycling at 50° I'd dress as if I were running at 30°.

That sounds about right. I went running this morning in Central Park. 26 degrees, probably 15 or so with wind chill. Sweatsocks, tights, sleeveless base layer, long sleeved thermal layer, a thin long sleeved top, ear muffs, cap, fully lined leather gloves. It felt a little chilly at the start, but felt fine by the time I finished. If I was riding my bike, I would have added full length thermal bib, a lined, windproof jacket, booties, and a full face balaclava.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/25/13 10:43 AM

Doesn't the cold air effect your breathing and/or hurt your bronchi? It does me when it gets under 40 pretty much if [when] my respiratory rate gets high..

Same weather expected here for the next 5+ days. Best part is the wind will be 0-3 mph, gift! My Saturday ride was 15-18 with plenty of gusts and not quite 50. Blustery, but sunny mostly and nice to be out at all of course.

Dave B

11/25/13 11:26 AM

quote:
Doesn't the cold air effect your breathing and/or hurt your bronchi? It does me when it gets under 40 pretty much if [when] my respiratory rate gets high..

No, I've never noticed that and I've run down to -13° and cycled down to 14°. I have heard others mention it but I've never had it happen.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

11/25/13 5:39 PM

Cold air give me a fit and I keep my HR low to keep from hacking up my left lung when below 40F.

KerryIrons

11/25/13 7:51 PM

Skiing

quote:

We have this thing called skiing, and in particular cross-country skiing where you are doing very aerobic exercise at sometimes very low temps. I've gone alpine skiing at -33 F (big mountain skiing so you get breathing pretty hard) and with wind chills at -56 F. Certainly have XC skied at -20 and probably colder.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/25/13 8:22 PM

I guess my skiing [50+ days a season for a few years] and staying clear of the mogul fields I did not go anaerobic much that I recall.

And I like cold basically, but I guess on the bike I pretty much have more consistently a higher HR.

April

11/25/13 9:18 PM

quote:
Doesn't the cold air effect your breathing and/or hurt your bronchi?

Those are two different questions. As for the hurting the bronchi, definitely NOT!

As very well put by Kerry:

quote:
We have this thing called skiing, and in particular cross-country skiing where you are doing very aerobic exercise at sometimes very low temps.

While that's all true, I can't say how it compares to the effort level of riding a bike. Or how to correlate to heart rate.

The thing with skiing is, it being so very technical, most people are limited by their muscle ability rather than by their heart/lung output. At least I feel I was. Especially in xc skiing, my upper body got tired a whole lot sooner than my legs, and THAT seriously affects my breathing. Further more, once my upper body got tired, my coordination starts to falter and my technique goes erh... "downhill" fast! Hyperventilation and rapid heart rate soon follows...

With biking, I can struggle along at 3mph up an 15% grade at my 30x28 granny gear. There's no coordination issue (ok, until I can't keep the bike upright). So I can keep at it for another 1/2hr!

When I used to mtn bike in the winter, it's quite often 30 degrees and I felt perfectly warm and comfortable. No problem with breathing at all! Heart rate were usually higher but that's just the nature of mtn biking on single track...

JohnC

11/26/13 10:09 AM

quote:

Some people get that, some don't. Some a little, some more. It's sometimes called "exercise-induced asthma," or "exercise-induced bronchoconstriction." I sometimes experience it a little when the cold weather starts, but I seem to adapt after a few times out.

BTW, it was about 20F for yesterday morning's commute. It's a little early for that, IMHO.

dan emery

11/26/13 10:43 AM

Brisk!

I think vigorous XC skiing will generally cause a higher HR than cycling because you are using your whole body. Like Kerry, I've done both below 0F, and had no breathing problems. But as John said, that doesn't mean others won't.

I actually enjoy inhaling very cold air, find it invigorating. Once in Law School I ws XC skiing in pretty cold weather, feeling so good I didn't notice that my hat rode up above my ears. Walking back home I went to scratch my head and noticed that when I brushed my ear, my ear didn't feel it. Oops.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

11/26/13 10:55 AM

+1 JohnC & exercise-induced asthma

Staying well hydrated helps. There's not much humidity inducing sweat in winter, of course, but the cold, dry air will cause quite a bit of respiratory fluid loss. That will tax and affect your breathing more if you are less hydrated.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -