HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Body clock, sleep, training overrated

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

10/13/13 5:37 PM

Body clock, sleep, training overrated

Well I was wondering how this would go. I've hardly ridden the last 2 weeks, and flew to San Diego Tuesday (airline screwup adds 5 hours to 7 hour flight). Out there I sleep awful (body clock confused), and only exercise I get is walking to restaurants. Get up 3am Saturday, fly back to Portland (losing 3 hours of course). Get up 3:30 this am, drive to Lewiston and ride the Dempsey Challenge Century. Pretty much ride just as I would expect to normally.

So I guess I suck equally no matter what!

Actually this event is important to me for several reasons, so there are positive psychological factors. Great event.

The head guy from Bicycling was there, and from brief remarks he seemed like a pretty good guy (I've barely looked at the mag in the last 20 years, so I can't comment on it's current state).

Oh, I saw an awesome Beer Cycle in the San Diego Gaslamp District (basically a small rolling bar powered by pedaling customers bellied up to the bar). Seen a video of a similar type thing in Amsterdam.

Reply to topic    

April

10/13/13 7:48 PM

I've been battling several medical issues for last summer and this. Surprisingly my riding didn't get affected all that much, at least not speed-wise.

Hydration matters a whole lot more though. I can ride pretty well even though I slept only 4 hrs. But if II didn't drink a lot the day before, I would be miserable!

Last edited by April on 10/14/13 7:43 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

10/13/13 10:05 PM

More often than not, I will go out on a day I don't feel like riding. Slept like shit, rode too hard two days before, and like that. I just go out easy with no intention of pushing watts. About an hour into the ride I light up and ride faster and more effortlessly, not to mention feel better afterwards, et al. Go figure, lessons learned.

dfcas

10/14/13 10:51 AM

Dan- you are one of the hard men.

dddd

10/14/13 4:31 PM

"...About an hour into the ride I light up and ride faster and more effortlessly, not to mention feel better afterwards,..."

Yeah, especially the part about feeling better afterwards.
The cycling is therapeutic and usually guarantees a good night's sleep, unless maybe the ride turned out to be too grueling.

I rode to the start of a hilly 80-miler last February, and with so little sleep I announced at mile 5 that I'd probably be peeling off early.
It ended up being a 5-hour hammerfest, at but not beyond physical limits. What a boost that was, I said "how did this happen".

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/14/13 6:09 PM

One day when I was back in Jersey I did my best 20k TT time on a particular circuit. Then 2 hours later we did a hard fast semi hilly 53 miles that I not only smoked on, but felt good at the end.

I have noticed since I started riding with Elaine that the slower pace when we hit a hill I do better than usual. Usual being relative. ;)

Old habits die hard and all, maybe I should stop trying to go fast.

Last edited by Sparky on 10/14/13 7:28 PM; edited 2 times in total

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

10/14/13 6:48 PM

I sleep horribly and have for many years. Demons haunt me.

It really does not affect my performance unless I am trying to do intervals twice a week which is VERY rare these days.

I have parked the bike for a while to work on running. It has more bang for the buck.

Sparky

10/14/13 7:30 PM

"It has more bang for the buck"

And more bang for the knees ? ;)

Demons haunt you? Is a translation 'you let everything bother you'? I am somewhat familiar with that. ;O

ErikS

10/15/13 4:46 AM

You have no idea and never will.

daddy-o

10/15/13 6:25 AM

Punch line for this thread

Wow that water's cold
Yeah, and deep too

Sparky

10/15/13 10:10 AM

And we are not even in TX either...

I have a very good idea. And if your condition is beyond my threshold to understand it, I sure hope you are on meds for it.

Done with this subject. [at least for now...]

ErikS

10/15/13 5:22 PM

Exercise is my med.

sandiway

10/16/13 11:47 AM

quote:
Pretty much ride just as I would expect to normally

You are in good shape.

You may have ridden even faster if you had gotten good sleep.

A short break from riding did you good.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/16/13 11:54 AM

"Exercise is my med."

Ahh, but are you over medicating. Rhetorical. ;)

I was in piss-poor mood yesterday, edge of throwing shit. The Tandem did not fit on the new rack, and I was like fook-it on riding. Calmed down and took the wheels off and stuck it in the back of the Equinlox and we went out to the paved trail 7 miles form the house..

Talk about Meds kicking in, I was fine almost immediately upon rolling. Elaine liked hitting 25+ on the flats, this is good. ;) Even when we got a soft rear tire after a pump-up worked for only a mile. We had to stop and put in a new tube, I was already cooled off and calmly fixed it. :0

dddd

10/16/13 1:43 PM

I was never quite able to keep cool for the duration of a rear-tire flat-fix on any of the tandem's I've owned.
Perhaps the weight, or the drum-brake arm getting in the way, or especially getting hit in the groin by the stoker's handlebar when trying to manouver the thing, grrrr.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

10/16/13 3:30 PM

I had a similar experience in a different field at my guitar lesson yesterday. I've hardly been able to play or practice at all for the past five weeks because I injured my shoulder falling off my bike and I couldn't manage turning my hand around palm-up to fret the strings for more than a few minutes at a time because of the discomfort.

So I turn up for my first lesson in five weeks, tell my teacher not to expect much because I've hardly picked the instrument up for five weeks, and proceeded to nail just about everything that I played. His parting comment was: "You should fall off your bike more often".

Reply to topic    

Paul Datars

10/17/13 9:07 AM

Firstly, Dan it's nice to hear when you've had a good ride. I don't know how you deal with that travel AND the riding, you're a better man than me.

Hey Erik, when you say "DEMONS haunt me" I trust you are not speaking literally??? Not sure why I think this, but in this 'day and age' I'd be careful using such strong terms in an open forum.

On the topic of being an aging cyclist, I've curiously noted a gradual reduction in my need to hydrate...like in an hour from now I'm heading out for a 4+ hour ride that will be a pretty hard pace. I will only take one small water bottle that will very likely not be empty when I get home. Of course I will take in a Rockstar at the half way point of the ride that will be done as usual with my 64 year old friend Rick...we really need to find a better class of friend because most are haunted by the curse of the drinking class, a job.

This is the time of year when my riding volume used to take a dive, not anymore, for example last week was 19 hours and this week will likely end up being more if it doesn't rain all weekend.

dan emery

10/17/13 9:53 AM

old guys hydrating

>>On the topic of being an aging cyclist, I've curiously noted a gradual reduction in my need to hydrate<<

Paul, I've noticed the same thing. Unless it's pretty hot, I don't drink much. On this century, I think the high temp was about 60F, and I drank about 1 1/2 bottle.

As to the travel, not my ideal but I had to be in SD plus really wanted to do this event.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/17/13 10:15 AM

I must not be that old. ;) My hydration needs seem constant. 1 bottle per 2 hours, and the bigger ones too.

I have a calcification stuck in my right kidney. Yea they tried to blast it out, ouch... It's still there.

When I am in dehydration my kidney squeezes that star shaped stone and it hurts. Simply drinking a big glass of water is pretty much near instant relief.

dan emery

10/18/13 7:45 AM

Payback

Well I've been tired all week, slept about 11 hours last night (unheard of for me), and apparently overnight someone injected cement mix into my knees....

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

10/18/13 9:54 AM

Hydration

While I only take one bottle with me and barely touch it, when running I use a hand held bottle and in warmer weather will drink from it on a regular basis. I find a major difference between cycling and running at least in warmer tempertures. Even in cooler weather, I drink more running, but the difference isn`t so great.

dddd

10/18/13 12:08 PM

"...When I am in dehydration my kidney squeezes that star shaped stone and it hurts. Simply drinking a big glass of water is pretty much near instant relief."

It might benefit serious cyclists to have one of those implanted, the better to remind one of impending dehydration? ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/18/13 1:48 PM

"It might benefit serious cyclists to have one of those implanted, the better to remind one of impending dehydration? ;-)"

LOL, as long as it does not get bigger. I'd hate to have to get cut to get it out. If it worked, the lithotripsy may have been tolerating the feeling for a week like I was kicked in the kidney and all the blood in my... never mind...

When the tool of a Dr. told me he would have to repeat the procedure, I said "no way, fuck off!".. on the inside. Out loud I said just "no thanks"

That was 15 years ago...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -