Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Coffee & BIkes

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

8/29/13 11:01 AM

Coffee & BIkes

WSJ Slide show on bike shop / cafes including our own (Lexington MA. Ride Studio Cafe - Rob Vandermark's (Seven Cycles) latest brainstorm:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323324904579041123587573750.html#slide/1

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/29/13 11:48 AM

Of course

Rick if you switched to coffee from tea your power output would go up 20%.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

8/29/13 12:12 PM

re: Ride Studio Cafe

I went in there recently.

Very trendy and expensive-looking. Seven, Rapha, etc. Somewhat selective.
Seems to suit posh Lexington MA just fine.

But I found it a bit too au courant for my taste... I prefer a proper bike shop that sells everything from bells to batteries.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/29/13 12:20 PM

well then

The shop sounds perfect for Rick. He has one of these for every day of the week:

http://www.rapha.cc/timothy-everest-and-rapha-threepiece-cycling-suit

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

8/29/13 2:50 PM

Proper

only if riding a Pashley

speaking of the Brits just came across this purported to be authored by John Cleese:

ALERTS TO THREATS
IN 2013 EUROPE

From JOHN CLEESE

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent events in Syria and have therefore raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards." They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France 's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans have increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbour" and "Lose."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels ..

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries" to "She'll be right, Mate." Two more escalation levels remain: "Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!" and "The barbie is cancelled." So far no situation has ever warranted use of the last final escalation level.

Regards,
John Cleese ,
British writer, actor and tall person

And as a final thought - Greece is collapsing, the Iranians are getting aggressive, and Rome is in disarray. Welcome back to 430 BC.

Life is too short...

Reply to topic    

PLee

8/29/13 3:04 PM

Too good!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/29/13 4:29 PM

Excellent, LOL

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

JohnC

8/30/13 11:11 AM

That's beautiful, Rick. Where did you find it? I wonder if Cleese really wrote it. It is easy to hear it delivered in his voice.

On a trip to the UK with my family a few years ago, we downloaded John Cleese's voice for our GPS unit. It was pefect. "You have arrived at your destination. You may now exit the car. I will not be assisting with the bags."

daddy-o

8/30/13 12:04 PM

I think the poster above me, the one from Glastonbury, is John Cleese and he thought we wouldn't notice if he just abbreviated.

Nice pockets on that suit. Are they sewn shut?

Happy Friday everybody, and take Monday as a recovery day!

(Labor Day for all you out-of-towners)

Andy M-S

8/30/13 1:33 PM

Cleese is not the author

But it's still good. Cabbage crates over the briney, eh wot?

mag7

8/30/13 5:21 PM

"Syria-sly" not from John Cleese. :-)

http://thejohncleese.com/forum/discussion/113/is-this-an-authentic-piece-by-john-cleese

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/30/13 5:44 PM

Coffee and bikes= Ice and sweet tea.

Nick Payne

8/31/13 5:24 PM

An amusing whoops that came up in conversation at the coffee shop after yesterday's ride.

One rider was observed trying to read his phone screen without his reading glasses by holding it out at arm's length (we're all over 50 and several of us over 60). Another rider snorted with laughter and said "I really need to get myself some prescription sunglasses for cycling - I was riding home on the bikepath the other day, and was overtaking two attractive looking women out running. I was busy ogling them, when I suddenly realized on getting close enough that it was my daughter running with one of her friends."

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/31/13 5:32 PM

"Ice and sweet tea"

I had all but forgot about sweet tea since sweet fleeing Kerfuffle, until I went to DFW recently...

Bleah... LOL

Dave B

9/2/13 7:01 PM

quote:
I had all but forgot about sweet tea since sweet fleeing Kerfuffle, until I went to DFW recently...

Bleah... LOL

That monument to excess sugar has escaped the deep South and has infested the rest of the country. It's everywhere these days and you always have to ask for "unsweet tea" if you want to avoid it.

Sparky

9/2/13 7:20 PM

"have to ask for "unsweet tea" if you want to avoid it."

I just get water, a lot calories @ years end.

Also, no bread or bagels. I sure miss the bagels... Wah!

daddy-o

9/2/13 8:07 PM

Low simple carbs, are you doing low fat too?

Listening to a feature two weeks ago on fructose / sugar, with the most direct language I've heard yet, they said fructose is interpreted by the body as a signal to make fat, in about the same number of words. The difference in the response between regular 50/50 sucrose/fructose table sugar and standard 60/40 HFCS is clear.

(high fructose corn syrup)

Dave B

9/3/13 6:06 AM

quote:
I just get water, a lot calories @ years end.

Unsweet tea has no calories AFAIK so getting it is as simple as asking even in the South.

Sparky

9/3/13 12:57 PM

"Unsweet tea has no calories AFAIK so getting it is as simple as asking even in the South."

Let's not go confusing the issue with facts. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -