HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Wifey Poo breaches 2 thresholds today

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/18/13 5:50 PM

Wifey Poo breaches 2 thresholds today

Clipless, and a pretty good climb. Se almost made it to the top all the way too. Now she has that as a goal. This is steeper than anything I have pushed her up previously, no assistance today other than coaching verbally. She loves the shoes/pedals, who wouldn't?

I see Wally and wife also had a nice run today.
Cool stuff having your honey as a riding partner, for sure...

Last edited by Sparky on 8/22/13 9:05 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

8/18/13 8:15 PM

Just wait...

...until she starts kicking your butt. It'll still be fun!

Reply to topic    

Paul Datars

8/21/13 10:36 AM

"honey as a riding partner"...yep did our first century together in 1984. When I was first forced onto a bicycle because I wanted to spend more time with her, in 1983, she would regularly drop me. Can't say that has happened for a while but the relationship still thrives.

lrzipris

8/21/13 12:35 PM

I might have said this before, but every now and then, I have to repeat myself: you folks are lucky to be able to share cycling with your spouses. My wife was chronically ill for many years, and far too fragile to get on a bike (even a tandem), and I always regretted that i could not share my cycling experiences with her directly. Instead, I would come home and try to find the words to express the joy I derived from cycling.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/21/13 12:38 PM

Kind of interesting that at her work they have a thing going for exercise. They log on and enter time for activities per session. With our 2,3+ hour rides she is eating what can hardly be considered the competition.
I am super proud of her...

Brian Nystrom

8/22/13 5:06 AM

Our company does the same thing...

...but it's pretty obvious that it's designed for typical sedentary office workers, not people who are active and exercise regularly. It's definitely a good thing, because if you could render all the blubber that waddles into the office every day into fuel, you could probably power the place for a year!

A couple of weeks ago, we started running and cycling clubs, with corporate backing, and so far the bike club is progressing well. The biggest challenge has been finding easy routes for beginner riders, as we're in a rather hilly area.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/22/13 9:09 AM

"pretty obvious that it's designed for typical sedentary office workers"

They apparently have 3 groups, beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Most did pick beginner she said. There is not too much sitting @ her work,, they mostly are running around like nuts surgery to surgery. I guess there are few chair/desk folks there though...

"biggest challenge has been finding easy routes for beginner riders, as we're in a rather hilly area."

I can see that as a big issue, up is tough for starters..

KerryIrons

8/22/13 6:38 PM

Fitness programs

One of the guys I ride with has a program at work tied to his health insurance where they give him an "exercise monitor" to see how much he moves every day. I'm guessing it is essentially a pedometer. At any rate he gets lower insurance rates if he moves more. On rides, he puts it on his shoe so it will register the up and down motion as exercise.

Next they will be implanting accelerometers under the skin I guess :)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/22/13 6:48 PM

She actually hit a 3rd threshold last week. What she hit exactly was the ground, and got a little road rash.
It was actually a place you need to get up on the sidewalk to hit the light button to cross a 4 lane busy road. There was driveway type low curb to get up, but it turned her wheel straight after she leaned in to turn right up it. It was not as low as it could have been, and did not catch it with her eye, but did with her front wheel. ;O

If not for the collection fine dirt where her chin hit, she would have lost skin there. She has not let it slow her down. She also did a slow stop / fall on the second day of clipless that was a lot less dramatic. But she really came off the bike that first one... I figured we would see one of these early on clipless episodes frankly.

Brian Nystrom

8/23/13 5:28 AM

That 3rd threshold is a tough one

It happened to Linda when she was test riding bikes. Some moron decided that it was OK to leave his 3 year-old kid unattended while he test rode bikes and the unknowing toddler ran out in front of Linda when his father rode by. She nailed the brakes in an effort not to nail the kid and endo-ed onto the pavement. The idiot who caused the problem scooped up his kid and took off in a hurry. Linda was pissed off and a bit banged up, but it didn't deter her from her quest for a bike. Some chicks are just tough!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/23/13 6:52 AM

quest for a bike

>>but it didn't deter her from her quest for a bike<<

The quest for a bike is a strong, primal urge. I recall back in '83 I had a head on with a pickup, broke my wrist and got knocked out, and in the ambulance riding to the hospital I was pondering what new bike I would get.

Linda does sound like a tough chick.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -