CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Reynolds carbon tubular rims. Fragile or bombproof?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Rickk

8/14/13 7:48 AM

Reynolds carbon tubular rims. Fragile or bombproof?

Forty Six / Sixty Six:
Potential handling challenges in cross winds notwithstanding, anyone tried them?

On special presently @ Performance.
$1199/set
+ extra 30% off = $839 / set.
Not chump change, but....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/14/13 10:07 AM

If you are not racing, I see no point honestly. I got my set so cheap I could not resist with TT future use in mind, or even resale and make a few dollars possibly.

I have DVUL 46mm tubular set. White Industry hubs and DT Swiss spokes. $2300.00 MSRP then.

I have not really used them enough to say if they are durable or not. But 20/20 spoke counts, depends on your weight & power I'd say. ;)

But that price is sick, that is about what I would want for mine if I sold them.

I will say they accelerate like nothing at this weight. But be prepared for some stiff hoops. My set in just under 1200 grams. So in reality, expecting or even using the term bombproof for 20 spoke 1200 gram wheels is purely self delusion IMO. Especially @ my weight. ;)

I got my set with one ride on them, and a damaged front rim, garage/bike rack argument. Actually, I only got the front hub. He had cut the spokes and was going to send the wheel to Reynolds for rebuild, but the $750.00 cost caused him to pause. Note that I'd say, expensive rebuild potential.

I rebuilt it myself after sourcing a new front rim someone bought and never used for 150.00. Decided on going blades as I needed new spokes for the front. Aerolite blades/spokes and the pillar nips, $ouch!$.

They guy had given me the front hub only. but also gave me his spare tire, [garage killed the glued on tire]. So one new and the rear glued with one TT on it. [Tufos]. I have about $525.00 into the set, so will just keep them for when I get the TT bike rolling is what the plan is/was.

Get the blue pads if you do it! And let us know what constitute the oversize shipping charge listed for the set if you pull the plug.

Last edited by Sparky on 8/14/13 4:03 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Rickk

8/14/13 3:03 PM

Shimano compatibility only

Thanks for your experiences & pov
So - Was about to pull trigger. Read specs for weight and noticed not Campy compatible.
Oh well, perhaps someone else over here will take advantage

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/14/13 7:15 PM

I suspect you could run a Shimano 10 cassette on Campy 10 and never notice. Even w/ 9 spd I don't have an issue.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

8/16/13 5:33 AM

The reason Reynolds wheels are on closeout...

...is that they're introducing wider, new profile wheels that handle better and have lower rolling resistance.

I have to admit that I was tempted too and was sort of glad that they're not Campy compatible, as it saved me some money. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -