HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Strava question

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/5/13 10:40 AM

Strava question

I see in the other thread the comments on altitude, etc.

I was wondering about the watts estimates claimed?

I am going to test it this week by setting up a segment [Strava can do this] coming up that last hill 6-7 miles on the return to my house when I go towards town. I usually do the same zig/zag up the hill making lefts up the fall line and right across to the next left. A luxury the street config there allows for the 2 mile effort to have effort/recovery effort/recovery etc.

So Strava users, opinion on the watts. So far it seems to be consistent on averages for total ride.
And I just adjusted my weight down after i realized
when I set it up initially I weighed a bunch more. So curious to see what impact it has on the data samples.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/5/13 5:52 PM

Your weight will make a huge difference. The wattage will drop for the same speed.

It is pretty accurate for slow steep climbs but is less accurate for the flats. Never takes into account your drafting or prevailing winds. If you are riding a circular route that tends to give okay numbers.

I still end up addicted to that number as much as the speed. Good thing I can't see it while I ride.

Zig zagging up a hill? Dude get lower gears and save your aging knees.

Sparky

8/5/13 6:08 PM

Zig zag wrong term, I meant left right left right left on the streets on the side of the hill. the lefts being steeper, the rights less grade to recover a touch, etc. Although 2 months ago I did zig/zag up the steep left getting up that hill. ;)

Tim123

8/5/13 10:19 PM

Seems to depend on the terrain. If fairly flat, Strava generated altitude and wattage seems ok, but if hilly terrain, Strava can inflate the altitude (and wattage) by a fair bit. In my example in the other thread, my altitude goes up from around 580m to over 800m for a regular loop. Wattage goes from around 185w to around 225w.

When I first started using Strava I would look at other peoples rides and think Holy Cow, how can they push that many watts!? But if they enter a high weight and use Strava elevation figures, it's not hard to look like a TdF pro ;)

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/6/13 4:06 AM

I have found Strava to be conservative WRT power numbers when compared side by side with power meters.

Of course you have to tell it your bike/body gross weight. The bike is via your bike info, not added to your body weight.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -