HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Spoiler Mt. Ventoux Stage. RESULTS AND ANALYSIS

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Wheels

7/14/13 9:06 PM

Spoiler Mt. Ventoux Stage. RESULTS AND ANALYSIS

Sorry folks, if Froome isn't on something, then he is superman. I haven't a seen a guy ride away from everyone on a climb like that since The Pirate did it many years ago. We later found out he was on the juice.

I think Froome is into/one something.

Wheels

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/14/13 10:15 PM

I commented to Elaine, Contador certainly is not, and does not dare... for now..

Kind of saw evidence of this today I thought...

On both sides of the coin, I agree re:Froome

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

7/14/13 10:32 PM

Froome is very, very impressive.

I bet he could have ridden away
from Wiggens last year on any climb but was
forced to play second fiddle.

Now he is showing the world what he has got...
which is kinda dumb, shouldn't he
damp it down a notch, pretend to struggle a bit?

Contrast that with an exhausted (soon to lose it)
polka dot jersey wobbling his way to the finish line...

In other news, two 100m sprinters tested positive,
so I guess doping is still a problem at the top

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/15/13 5:43 AM

If they're all clean then this sort of thing will happen. Didn't someone point out he lost 6 kg from last year?

If anything he's on a roll. The only question then is for how long.

(but seriously, test him relentlessly now and today's samples for years and years just to make sure, I love the sport but at that level it can't be trusted for a blink of an eye)

LeeW

7/15/13 6:11 AM

similar thoughts

I thought the same thing. I haven't seen such a wicked turn of acceleration on terrain like that since Lance rocketed away from a shrinking peloton on Mt Ventoux and crossed the gap to Pantani (year = ????) in remarkably short time and the two rode to the top together. We all know how it turned out for those 2 riders.

The general commentary has been that you won't see accelerations like that anymore now that the peloton is "clean".

I began to wonder about Sky last year when it seemed like they took a bunch of pretty good riders and turned them all into super-human climbers that could dispatch the best riders in the peloton on the long climbs. I recall even Mick Rodgers was burning off pretty decent climbers on the lower slopes in last year's tour. Must be one great training program :-|

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

7/15/13 2:57 PM

quote:
I haven't seen such a wicked turn of acceleration on terrain like that since Lance rocketed away from a shrinking peloton on Mt Ventoux and crossed the gap to Pantani (year = ????) in remarkably short time and the two rode to the top together. We all know how it turned out for those 2 riders.

The general commentary has been that you won't see accelerations like that anymore now that the peloton is "clean".

On the other hand, why should the relativity between riders be different when the peloton is clean compared to when the great majority were doping. In other words, when virtually every rider was doping, did that level performances between riders or increase the disparity between riders or keep the relative performances the same?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/15/13 3:11 PM

Best of the poker faces as well, to be sure...

You know he will be tested and tested and tested and...

PLee

7/15/13 3:14 PM

He certainly looked human in that shot after he finished when he was leaning over his handlebars and looked to be just barely on this side of retching his guts out.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

7/15/13 4:41 PM

Right

quote:
On the other hand, why should the relativity between riders be different when the peloton is clean compared to when the great majority were doping...

I agree completely. there will always be a significant difference in ability between athletes, doped or clean. Someone is going to be noticeably better.

BTW, how come no one questioned Quintana? He is a 23 year old first timer and shot away from the entire peloton with no apparent effort and almost won the stage. Why the assumption he's clean?

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

7/15/13 5:09 PM

How fast did he climb and what is his estimated wattage for the effort? How did it compare to LA and other great climbers?

KerryIrons

7/15/13 6:43 PM

This is it

quote:
How fast did he climb and what is his estimated wattage for the effort? How did it compare to LA and other great climbers?

Erik has absolutely hit the nail on the head. If he's doing 400w and everyone else is doing 375w it's a long way from Lance doing 457w while everyone else does 450w. Until those numbers are in hand (and I'm sure the Dutch are cranking them out as we speak) we don't know much.

Reply to topic    

Tim123

7/15/13 9:12 PM

without the numbers it's too hard to tell, but I think the problem is that he is riding away from and making look silly the top ten best cyclists in the world, not just some club racers etc.

He keeps saying he's not cheating, perhaps Sky has some new fangled techo "program" that does something a bit different and therefore isn't illegal - yet

Reply to topic    

greglepore

7/16/13 6:49 AM

His power is estimated at 6.5 w/kg and the debate seems to be wether that's on the edge of capability. For me, it's not the science but the secrecy and the way he has an extra gear he seems to have. He's not superhuman, but neither was Lance etc, they could all have a bad day.
On the other hand, the only climbers that can Tt are Contador Schleck and Evans and they' re shadows of their former selves. So maybe it's pane et aqua.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -