HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

helmet painting

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Evan Marks

6/23/13 7:42 PM

helmet painting

Done it yourself? Paid someone to do it?

What works, what doesn't?

Ahh, you know I live in an apartment, right? Indoor rattlecans definitely won't work. Brushes, mmmmaybe.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/24/13 5:20 AM

Not generally a good idea

The solvents in most paints will degrade Styrofoam and painting voids any warranty on the helmet. Every helmet I've owned has has warnings against painting in the instructions.

I do like to customize my helmets somewhat, but I do it with pinstriping tape, which cannot cause any problems. Its cheap, easy to use, comes in lots of colors and you can always peel it off and/or change it if you don't like the outcome. You can create effects from subtle highlights to gaudy and flashy.

Reply to topic    

henoch

6/24/13 9:23 AM

Yeah I always wondered about that myself, always see guys on motorcycles with these cool paint jobs on their helmets

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/24/13 6:53 PM

Safe painting

I think Troy Lee Designs (?) used to pain bike helmets - mostly for downhill MTB types. Because different paints are compatible with different plastics you need to know what you are doing. Obviously those of us who have posted so far do not, except to advise that this is not a cliff you should jump off without some knowledge of what you are doing. Rattle cans seems like a basically bad idea.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/25/13 4:53 AM

Downhill helmets...

...generally have much more in common with motorcycle helmets than they do with road helmets. They have much thicker shells made of different materials. That said, I'll bet that even a Troy Lee paint job voids the warranty on a helmet, if that matters to you.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -