HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: new wireless router

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

6/11/13 7:06 PM

OT: new wireless router

I have an old wireless router that for some completely unexplained reason cannot connect to parts of one particular web site. If I connect direct to my DSL modem I have no problem, and I have no problem with numerous other home and motel wireless routers, so all fingers point to something in the router. Nothing I have tried so I'm thinking I should just get a new unit. This one is a 8 year old Belkin Wireless G.

I've looked at new routers and see a very wide range of prices. Some for $40 and some for $150. What's not obvious to me is what I would get for that much more $$. It's just me and my wife using it and the DSL line is our speed limiter by a long shot. Any thoughts about the "above Yugo" price for a minimum quality unit and what features are key? TIA

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

6/11/13 8:41 PM

More expensive units have various additional capabilities - eg VOIP, answering machine, DECT base station, USB ports for printer or 3/4G modem connection, IPV6, etc. The unit I have (Billion 7402VGP) is about six years old and no longer available, but it combines ADSL modem & router, Ethernet switch, two VOIP connections, and WLAN in the one small box. It replaced four separate units I was previously using to do the same job, and the power savings over six years from only having one power supply running 24/7 rather than four has probably covered the initial purchase cost - our power prices are about double yours.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

6/13/13 1:04 AM

routers do go bad and some are bad from the start

I've had routers go bad on me over time. They work 90% of the time and give me headaches the other 10% of the time.

Other routers are bad from the start. I do not recommend D-Link. I bought one once and it didn't work properly half the time. And I spent a week or two trying to debug it. I could not get it to work consistently with VPN.

Replaced it with a netgear and that simply worked smoothly out of the box. When my cable modem/router went nuts, I went out and got a Netgear. A no-brainer.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

6/13/13 7:25 AM

Apple Airport Extreme

I've got a three year old Apple Airport Extreme. It's been bulletproof and easy to configure and manage. It's compatible with any wi-fi equipment, not just Apple products. There's a new version with a lot more features and supports 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac.

Of course it's also got Apple's usual premium pricing. I think my older model which supports through 802.11n, can still be had for $150ish. The new one is listing for $199.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

6/13/13 7:44 AM

i've got a tp-link and a trend-net

and both are generally OK, but can get a little hinky from time to time. the big thing is that any sort of single massive file-copy seems to choke one or both of them, requiring a reboot.

i like that they have built-in support for a direct USB connection for network storage, but the fact that big file copies are problematic defeats the purpose.

i had a netgear wifi-g before i moved to wifi-n and it was bulletproof. at some point i'll probably go back to netgear.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

6/13/13 8:49 AM

re: Apple

I'm an Apple fanboy but I'm not so happy with their OS support for my old Airport Express (which I use for streaming audio - AirPlay). Its weakness is that it needs the Apple Airport Utility application for configuration. They dropped support for it in the latest releases of OSX. Bums me out since it has to be reconfigured from time to time.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -