HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Wider rims, discuss [again?]

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/20/13 5:00 PM

Wider rims, discuss [again?]

As mentioned in the other thread about sourcing them. I ordered my second set of A23 rims. I am totally convinced the wider rim with a little bigger tires is the way to go for me/my bulk.

I had put the straight Alpha Q back on pulling off the HCS3. Yes, still had the HSC3 on the Strong since I pulled of the initial AQ fork when it was born.

I still like the HSC3 a lot, not quite as sporty. ;)
I think Sandi also feels that way, although perhaps I push more compliance into it than Sandi. ;)

After the fork install, put on narrow rim Race-X-b-tragr wheels with Hutch Atom Comps 23C. These are near stupid light tires under 200 grams ea. Sit right @ 23mm on the b-tragr wheels. Majorly more responsive, bordering twitchy.

Today, A23 DA wheels with GP4Ks 25C, sit @ 27.2 on the A23 rims. The bike is definitely more mild mannered comparatively. Almost actually mild mannered. ;)

The Atoms even though smaller ride about as good as any tire I have used. The GP4KS also ride as well, but there is more volumes by a good amount, and I run them @ 80/90, The Atom Comps @ 90/100 and they still ride great.

Anyone else sold on wider rims?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

5/20/13 5:25 PM

Time will tell

As I mentioned in another thread, I just got wheels with Hed Belgium rims (23 I think) for my cross bike. I use them with 33 mm (actual) Clement cross tires. Before I had the tires on Open Pros. I've just taken a short ride on the Heds, they felt good but so did the Open Pros. If there is a difference I doubt I'll be able to notice it, but we'll see.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

5/20/13 6:58 PM

I plan to refit my fleet of wheels to A23's. Most of my wheels are from the mid 90's and I just think they have enough miles on them. Dunno when I'll do it, certainly before next spring. I'll rebuild 5 or so sets of wheels.

Sparky

5/20/13 7:47 PM

Using wheels with both wide and narrow rims, I am learning, is a challenge as far as the clearance. 4mm is more than you think when it comes to the calipers not rubbing and/or the clearance lever being able to be used if adjusted for narrow rims.

Brian Nystrom

5/21/13 5:27 AM

You got that right

I've thought about using wider rims on my cross bike, but there's not a lot of extra room for the cantilevers and it looks like it could be difficult to get the pads to hit the rims flat, even with the spherical washers on them.

Reply to topic    

walter

5/21/13 7:03 AM

i like my HED belgiums

they roll nicely, feel comfy. that is purely subjective/qualitative. no idea if theyr'e fast.

they do seem to be quite a bit more stable in gusty crosswinds, certainly moreso than the lightweight amclassic 420s i used to have.

for me, it's a challenge switching between these phatty rims and normal/narrow width rims w/o doing alot of monkeying with my brakes. i end up adjusting the cables so that with the adjuster all the way out they work with the phatty belgiums. that leaves plenty of additional adjustment to bring the pads in to work with my narrow mavic open-pros.

Last edited by walter on 5/21/13 11:17 AM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

5/21/13 9:01 AM

"cross bike, but there's not a lot of extra room for the cantilevers and it looks like it could be difficult to get the pads to hit the rims flat"

Move the smaller set of spacers to the inside? Isn't one bigger than the other? unless they are already there?

"no idea if theyr'e <b>fast</b>"

What is that?

Brian Nystrom

5/22/13 4:59 AM

I thought of doing that...

... and it would certainly make more room, but I'd have to reset the arms on the Shorty Ultimates to the wide position, which I'm hesitant to do.

I know this is probably a pipe-dream, but now that SRAM is making hydraulic road brakes, I'm hoping they'll come out with a set of cantilever replacements - like the one's Magura made - for bikes that can't accept disks.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/22/13 12:00 PM

As to the x winds, both days were windy. I found less 'too tall toppling sorta feel' with the A23/GP4K in gusts for sure.

dan emery

6/2/13 4:01 PM

Cantis

Took a bit longer ride on my cross bike with new wheels with Hed Belgiums, like Walter's. They work fine with the Paul cantis, FWIW.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

6/2/13 5:23 PM

Dan-

Your bike was posted by Gunnar on Facebook a few days ago. Cross bikes have soul.

dddd

6/12/13 8:46 AM

The "pad dive" angle improves with wider rims when using canti brakes, even moreso when the brake pivot studs are further apart and or higher up on the fork legs.

With improved pad-dive angle, the rim's brake track can be narrower, as on the HED Belgium rims.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -