HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Another Iron Butt Motorcycle ride

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Smunderdog

5/23/13 7:26 AM

Another Iron Butt Motorcycle ride

Many of you know I have a Honda sport touring motorcycle and I think I may have mentioned two summers ago I did the Iron Butt Association's "entry level" certification ride of 1000 miles in under 24 hours - the SaddleSore 1000. That one was Indy to Dallas...and on my return trip a few days later I even made time to swing by and meet Sparky in TN before he moved out west.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

I also officiate NCAA track & field, so when I was selected as an official for the DII outdoor meet in Pueblo CO - I pulled out the map and decided I would make it into another motorcycle ride and try for a more difficult certified ride - the Bun Burner Gold - 1500 miles in under 24 hours.

Full ride report coming soon, but I rode ~1550 miles leaving Tuesday morning from Indy and arriving in Colorado Wednesday morning. Looped up through IL into IA, then south through MO and across KS into CO. Got to Pueblo and was still short of the mileage I needed, so did an out/back toward NM. Was quite the planning, routing & endurance challenge! More soon...

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

5/23/13 10:11 AM

62.5 mph avg

Take it easy going there. The last couple of hours are going to be a test. Do you plan to start near sunset, finish under a full sun?

Taking a car from San Diego to D.C. in 2.5 days was okay. I mean what else are you going to do but drive?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

5/23/13 10:14 AM

How many miles on that ST-1100 these days?

Dave B

5/23/13 2:00 PM

quote:
Take it easy going there. The last couple of hours are going to be a test. Do you plan to start near sunset, finish under a full sun?

I think your warnings are a bit late. It sound like the ride is already finished.

daddy-o

5/23/13 4:16 PM

Indeed, passed

I (Smunderdog) rode ~1550 miles leaving Tuesday morning from Indy and arriving in Colorado Wednesday morning

I'll try to read his report more carefully.

Smunderdog

5/24/13 7:53 AM

No worries - but yes, I posted this after I completed the ride...

I had planned on an afternoon departure = afternoon arrival, but the storms sweeping across the plains changed my plan - I was able to depart Tuesday morning and pick my window to get across the storm front before it fired up later in the day. Then the rest of the ride was fantastic weather...

But it did make the last hours of the ride in the dark which wasn't as ideal as I had hoped, but I did ok.

Sparky - I turned 50,000 on this trip. More than half of those miles are mine and I've touched 23 states on my rides with the potential to add the 24th on the way home depending on what route I ride...

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/24/13 8:06 AM

diversification opportunity

Maybe you could expand your bike tour biz to Ironbutt Motorcycle Tours...

Are you back in Bike Tour mode yet?

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

5/24/13 11:03 AM

A real iron butt would ride his bicycle that far in one day. :)

Smunderdog

5/28/13 5:16 PM

I put my ride report over on the motorcycle forum that has helped me out so much since I got this bike. The link is below - feel free to skip to page 4 where I typed up the post ride report and included a few pics:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?128265-Bun-Burner-Gold-attempt

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -