HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Keywin Pedal update

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Rickk

5/15/13 4:17 PM

Keywin Pedal update

Ok, now that the weather has warmed up here...

Here's some initial feedback re. these pedals: CRM Ti

1. Solid, stiff, large platform. I "think" this helps to better distribute pressures and energy transfers
2. Once locked in, they are foolproof
3. Not the best for inner city riding or commuting to work in city, because definitely they are harder to click into (without quickly glancing down) when starting from a stop sign or red light... - compared to SPD's or old style (Delta) Look pedals for example.
4. For fast group rides though... they rock!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/15/13 5:24 PM

"Not the best for inner city riding or commuting to work in city, because definitely they are harder to click into"

They will be better with some miles. When new I recall thinking that as well. I all but forgot that until i read your post. My 10 year old ones are quite amiable.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

BdaGhisallo

5/16/13 2:01 PM

Keep using them and you will get very adept at clicking in and out of them. It will become second nature. Recently I bolted on a pair of the new spd-sl blue cleats to see how the float felt compared to the yellows. I had a heck of a time mastering the simple technique of clipping them in. Missed the pedal more than once as I fumbled with them. Now that I have been on Keywins for a few years, they are a piece of cake.

Have you tried the new Keywin Carbon pedals?

Reply to topic    

Rickk

5/16/13 5:18 PM

re. tried Carbon Ti vs the CRM Ti""?

Nope, not yet anyways.

Let me clarify. Clicking in... once the pedal body is properly aligned, is a breeze.
"Problem" is that these pedals aren't weighted fore-aft, so I have to look quickly down to make sure I'm trying to click into it while it is facing up, and not down instead...
Hard to explain... perhaps better explained here:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/pedals/product/review-keywin-carbon-46693

Still, despite this "mini-hassle", once clicked in, it's a solid platform. and light (rotational weight) to boot!
Hopefully, as you've both mentioned, it'll become 2nd nature - without necessitating a glance down first.
:-)

Anyways - Here's another pov:
http://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-product-reviews/new-product-introductions/2867-keywin-crm-and-crm-carbon-clipless-pedals

Reply to topic    

BdaGhisallo

5/16/13 5:37 PM

As the bearing seals wear in a bit, they will hang a bit better and facilitate easier clipping in. Not to the same degree as a Shimano or Look pedal, but a good bit better than they do out of the box.

Reply to topic    

Paul Datars

5/18/13 7:04 AM

Good point about hanging better when old :-)

I've got to the point where I click in blind all the time, even if I'm standing as I roll away...all second nature.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -