Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cycling in Maui

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
henoch

2/18/13 5:48 PM

Cycling in Maui

Looking for some ideas here.
I'm heading to Maui for week and wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations on riding down there, from good routs, to places to rent bikes etc..

Reply to topic    

SteveS

2/18/13 7:56 PM

Downhill

My wife took a day excursion to Maui and did one of the downhill tours.

http://www.bikemaui.com/
She did the Summit Deluxe Tour. Had a nice time, enjoyed the ride and the scenary. Made for a good day trip for her while I was working. They have a few other options. Certainly not hard riding or dangerous. She rides a few thousand miles a year and we typically do weeklong summer tours of 400+ miles such as Bon Ton Roulette, Ride the Rockies, RAGBRAI... A quick look at the website shows rentals too.

http://www.mauidownhill.com/
Also looked at this company but as I recall they make you stay together in a group which means you ride at the pace of the slowest person.

Those are the only two links I saved although you may be able to find more. Throw a pair of bike shorts in your bag at least as you never know what saddle you may end up with. Shoes and pedals if you plan to get really serious. You can always buy a jersey or wear a T shirt.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/18/13 7:58 PM

All I can say is "I hate you' for even mentioning it. ;)

Enjoy!!!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

JohnC

2/19/13 9:14 AM

You gotta climb Haleakala. It's unforgetable. You can rent decent road bikes at several shops, including South Maui Bicycles and West Maui Cycles.

The downhill-only tours, where they bus you to the top and you coast down in a group, did not look like to me they'd be fun for an experienced road cyclist. But climbing the 10,000 feet and then descending was one of my most memorable cycling experiences.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Rickk

2/19/13 5:15 PM

+ 1, on what JohnC said

Was there in October 2012,

regretted not bringing my bike - or not training enough beforehand , to even think about ascending Haleakala, ...although was pretty envious when seeing the odd, lone cyclists (men and women) ascending the mountain/volcano by bike, while I was driving down like a lazybastrd, after witnessing the sunrise on the peak.
:-(

Asphalt was amazingly smooth all the way up/down.

If you think of riding around 1/2 the island, be aware that although the sights are extremely breathtaking, the road gets very narrow at times and may not be as in good condition as on Haleakala.

Also - if you do go one way or the other around the island... be on lookout for many tourists with rented cars, who may not be used to driving on narrow, hairpin-turn roads - let alone sharing those roads with cyclists, lol.

Reply to topic    

SteveS

2/20/13 3:48 PM

Uphill

Had I not been stuck in work meetings I would have loved to have went with my wife and climbed up and then descended. While she is an experienced cyclist she is not much of a solo traveler so the downhill group outing was what she was comfortable with. As it was I got to knock Hawaii off my state bike bucket list with a short ride in Honolulu up to Diamond Head on a crappy rental (first rental was missing two inches of rim surface). Once out of the city is was nice riding.

Note the first link I posted has a few maps if you dig around on their website. They also did a decent job responding to a few e-mail questions I had in advance. Just be patient for replies with the time difference plus Island Time .

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -