HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Any '13 Resolutions?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Smunderdog

1/11/13 12:05 PM

Any '13 Resolutions?

I'm not a big resolution guy, but after a friend of mine ran every day in 2012, I'm intrigued to see if I might be able to do that...so far so good...just short runs of 2.5-4.5 miles to see how my body is going to react to the lack of days off...

Anyone else make any? Don't have to be fitness related....

Reply to topic    

April

1/11/13 1:38 PM

No, I pride myself in being able to go with the flow. So no resolution at all! ;-)

Just kidding. But no, I never had and don't quite understand it.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

1/11/13 1:56 PM

re: run every day

I did 40 days, 40 runs last year... actually, I lasted until day 45 when I got a spot asthma...

http://sandiway.blogspot.com/2012/05/40-days-40-runs.html

It was fun trying to keep a streak going...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/11/13 5:24 PM

Sort of

The more realistic one is to get my Crosshairs painted. I can accomplish that by dropping it of at the LBS tomw, thence to Waterford. Poppy with Vaniila Shake panel, I think.

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/colors-and-styling/current-colors/

The second is more aspirational, meaning it's only marginally realistic, but I'm thinking of making a run at the full-boat, 180k D2R2. It would take more preparation than I have ever done, and even with that I still might not make it.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/12/13 11:51 AM

If you're going to give it a shot...

...that's a great choice of event, as there are bailouts if you need them. Depending on how I'm feeling and how well Linda recovers from her ankle injury, I may consider the 100K this year.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/12/13 1:09 PM

Halfway there!

Dropped off the bike for new paint. My goals are related, As the Crosshairs is my D2R2 ride.

Yes, D2R2 offers many course variations, intentional and otherwise.....

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/12/13 1:21 PM

Dan

Mine: Getting better and racing again

Does D2R2t come before or after our TT? I will be ready!

R

Reply to topic    

April

1/12/13 1:22 PM

quote:
Yes, D2R2 offers many course variations, intentional and otherwise.....

LOL

You were specifically warned beforehand, Dan!

dan emery

1/12/13 1:32 PM

@Rick & April

Rick it's in August so it's after the Merckx tt. U better be ready, as I think this is the only event I can win!

April, yes I was prewarned, and it's all part of the charm of the event. But if I take it seriously this year, I may go down for a weekend and preride some of my intended course.

Reply to topic    

April

1/12/13 2:11 PM

quote:
But if I take it seriously this year, I may go down for a weekend and preride some of my intended course.

You can ride it any time and if that helps you to COMPLETE it, I guess so. But for me, if I ride sections of it, I "rode" it. ;-)

In 2012, I was worried about mud early in the day (since it rained overnight). I opted for a late start and did an abbreviated section of the brand new 150k route. Came back Sunday to do a section I skipped. I "enjoyed the event" as such. I plan to do it similarly in the future, 2 days of moderately hard riding instead 1 big hellish day.

I always think the course is the main reason I ride it. So I don't make too much of a point of finishing a particular distance DURING the event. (I have to admit I've only finish an official distance once: 100k on year 2. All other years I either cut out section, add extra, or mix-n-match different distance)

I have no hope of EVER finishing the 180k in one single day. But I can quite possibly do sections of it on seperate days, and ending up doing all of its routes. As the organizer puts it "we invite you to ride the course any time you like". Though I ended up "doing the event" every year because I needed that to be a target to motivate me to go at all.

Just keep in mind your goal of finishing it is only partly based on your preparation. You need the blessing of the weather god.

Smunderdog

2/8/13 9:04 AM

39 days in...so far so good. Averaging only 3 miles a day, but I also had a sinus infection for 2 weeks and am just getting my energy back. Also have ridden a handful of times, so that made those days double workout days...

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

2/8/13 10:24 AM

An interesting aspiration, Nathan. Several years ago, I rode 13 of 14 days and felt it, needing a day off to recover! I can't imagine the drive that would make one ride (or run) every day for a year, like your friend.

In fact, as I have gotten older, I feel less and less driven, and now that I'm retired, I feel less pressure to ride at every available opportunity: if I don't feel like riding today, I can ride tomorrow. I also used to think that that any ride less than ~35 miles wasn't worth the effort; now, I often do a 20 mile loop from the house, with a coffee break at mid-point.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering how your bike tour business has been?

Reply to topic    

Smunderdog

2/13/13 8:03 PM

Thanks for asking - we've had a great first (almost) 12 months. Many lessons learned along the way and I'm excited to make adjustments moving forward to capitalize on them. Many tours of all 3 varieties (walking, running & biking) were conducted...both for visitors & local residents. Corporate Wellness programs purchased gift certificates as incentives or booked custom group outings with us. And although the quantity of reviews isn't there yet, we are currently the #1 ranked Indianapolis Activity in the Things to Do section of TripAdvisor.

Even did a one off Indy Brewing running tour that had samples and stops along a 5.5 mile run where participants learned about the past and present of Indy beer.

We also did the first Cranksgiving food drive on bikes in Indy and had over 100 participants which we believe was the 3rd largest Cranksgiving held last year.

Along with all the great new professional challenges that starting and running a business provides - there are also awesome quality of life and family related benefits. It has been awesome being able to spend more time with our now 14 month old daughter along the way.

Reply to topic    

walter

2/13/13 9:56 PM

LESS TRAVEL FOR WORK

will know in a few days...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -