HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Opinions on the B&N Nook

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
henoch

1/30/13 8:27 AM

Opinions on the B&N Nook

I am thinking of getting a e-reader, was looking at the nook glowlight.
Anyone have one? like or dislike it?.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

1/30/13 1:47 PM

No experience here, but I got my wife the comparable Kindle model, the Paperwhite, for Christmas. She loves it. The display is very nice.

I know some people don't want to be locked into Amazon's distribution system, so that may not be very helpful.

The two devices sound very similar in the reviews I've read.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

1/30/13 8:36 PM

The Glowlight is about $120

For somewhat more money ($200) you can get an Android tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 comes to mind, that does a whole lot more and still makes for a great reader.

I use my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus to read Kindle, Nook, EPub and other formats (including my library selections), so am not limited to one companies format. As well as all the internet, and about a dozen other things with none of the limitations B&N or Kindle place on the device. As example, I pay zip for a lot of stuff thru the Google Play store that my wife has to pay for from B&N.

Compared to my wife's B&N Nook Color, the Android is a lot more useful.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

1/30/13 8:59 PM

I'm happy with my kindle fire (not HD).

The main limitations so far are some video playback and no bluetooth.

Pat Clancy

2/1/13 6:38 PM

Nook

My daughter has a Nook (the base model, not the GlowLight) and loves it. She did some sort of simple hack and can alternate the native OS with Android. She's got a number of Android apps loaded.

FWIW, the latest Consumer Reports gave their highest rating to the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight. However, the Kindle Paperwhite 3G was a very close second. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

April

2/1/13 8:17 PM

quote:
I know some people don't want to be locked into Amazon's distribution system, so that may not be very helpful.

With e-readers, you're either in the Amazon's distribution system or B&N's. So it's not a matter of locked in but a matter of which one you'd rather be in, isn't it?

quote:
Compared to my wife's B&N Nook Color, the Android is a lot more useful.
More useful isn't the issue, readability is.

Having seen people reading on the train using all kind of tablet including e-readers, I'd say they're two entirely different animals. And the readability of e-readers wins hands down! Do you pick a knife because it has a can openner build-in or just the best knife?

If I want to read books, I'd get a e-reader.

I know, I'm not helping in the Kindle vs Nook battle.

Steve B.

2/2/13 6:26 AM

"More useful isn't the issue, readability is. "

To you. To the OP, possibly it is an issue.

"Having seen people reading on the train using all kind of tablet including e-readers, I'd say they're two entirely different animals. And the readability of e-readers wins hands down! Do you pick a knife because it has a can openner build-in or just the best knife?

If I want to read books, I'd get a e-reader"

I read books all the time on my Galaxy Tab, in fact it's now my primary use of the device. It's a great reader and I find no difference between it and my wife's Nook Color. As well, when you go to either the B&N or Amazon product you are locked in to their product. With an Android device, you can use both the B&N as well as Amazon reader app's, plus all sorts of e_Pub stuff from the library as well (the free stuff is also available on Kindle and Nook).

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/2/13 8:17 AM

Readers

I'm an elected member of our town's library board of trustees. One concern I have heard expressed is that using a Kindle to download content such as ebook loans from your library your request goes through Amazon and Amazon can keep track of what you read if you care about that. I use an IPad as my primary reader. I take advantage of our state and local library networks using Overdrive to download ebooks. As Steve notes you can also access the Kindle App if you are so inclined. Ebook loans at your local library are so very cool, you find something you like you place a hold and when your time comes up you are notified to download usually for a two week loan period. It is amazing when a book is just published and reviewed in the Sunday paper I get on to place a hold and there may be 20 people already in front of me :( If you don't use your local library ebook loans you should....public service announcement over :)

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

2/2/13 5:41 PM

Rick wrote:

" I use an IPad as my primary reader. I take advantage of our state and local library networks using Overdrive to download ebooks. As Steve notes you can also access the Kindle App if you are so inclined. Ebook loans at your local library are so very cool, you find something you like you place a hold and when your time comes up you are notified to download usually for a two week loan period. "

I have always been puzzled as to 1) Why there is such a limited selection stuff available as e-books, certainly now where near the selections in print. I assume it's just going to take time. My local system (Nassau County, NY) is seemingly devoid of stuff I would want to read. And 2) Why some authors/publishers have you go thru Amazon to get a free download. And then don't allow the download direct to the device, instead requiring a download to a PC and then a USB transfer. Stoopid.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/2/13 6:44 PM

Lot's of controversy

Many publishers of ebooks will not sell to libraries, some have schemes where a library can only buy a copy for a limited number of downloads and when the downloads are up the library must purchase the ebook again which gets very expensive. Many of the impediments are requirements of the publishers not the libraries to our frustration in trying to serve patrons. Publishers have purposely created more "friction" to accessing ebooks at libraries to make you want to buy not borrow.... Libraries have traditionally been the publisher's best friend, not so anymore they are at odds over ebooks. There has been a lot written lately about the future of ebooks and libraries trying to devine how things will evolve.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

2/3/13 7:44 PM

Rick, a thanks for the insight.

I happen to love reading on my tablet but have been frustrated by the dearth of library offerings and now know the why.

I do not mind purchasing a book, but am always puzzled that many authors do not offer e-book versions. Again, probably the publishers choice, though since I enjoy science fiction, many of the current writers are more savvy and understand that their readers want it in e-book. Many top authors publish with Baan Books and have a terrific selection. Not all authors and publishers are as enlightened, though that will change.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -