HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Wheres my rack?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

12/13/12 2:25 PM

Wheres my rack?

I went to put my bike on the hitch rack and low and behold I have no rack. I do wonder if it just fell off or if it was stolen. Guess I'll get a locking clevis pin this time.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

12/13/12 2:33 PM

I'd make a senior moment remark if I was no so affeared it will bite me, if not already bitten...

dan emery

12/13/12 2:36 PM

no worries Spark

Think Dan, where is the last place you put your rack...

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/13/12 2:38 PM

I actually went through that thought process, since I do take it off from time to time. Alas I can't remember taking it off, and I can't find it. Some meth head probably sold it for scrap.

dddd

12/13/12 3:05 PM

Suddenly, I'm surprised that these thefts don't happen more often.

I used to sell these things when I could buy wholesale from the late GT/Riteway, and some are pretty expensive to not be protected against theft.
I don't recall seeing too many come up for sale on Craigslist fwiw.

Be glad that your bikes weren't on it at the time.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

12/13/12 4:35 PM

Yep, a locking clevis pin was the first thing I bought for my hitch rack. Without one they all but have a "Take One" sign on them.

Same with roof racks, locks for the towers and for the bike fork holders are an essential accesory.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

12/14/12 3:32 AM

Craigslist.com?

Sparky

12/14/12 4:35 AM

.org you mean ?

Nick Payne

12/14/12 2:23 PM

Years ago I was driving back with some friends from competing in a track meet in Sydney, and while passing Lake George the bike carrier came adrift from the trailer hitch it was mounted on. At highway speed that resulted in three rather bent track bikes and a lot of bad language.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

12/14/12 11:21 PM

If it's a 2 inch receiver with a biggish pin hole and you have some ground clearance a big u-lock like a Kryptonite will fit as a pin.

Reply to topic    

April

12/15/12 8:15 AM

Another option, depends on the rack:

We usually lock our bike to the car's tow loop with a cable lock. So whne we took the bike off, we just loop the cable around the rack. It won't stop a determined thief, who can simply cut the cable. But it does stop someone without a bolt cutter.

This is the first time I've heard someone losing their rack to thef. I heard about thef of bikes a lot but rack is rare. It's a pretty big and bulky object. I struggle putting it on and taking it off. So the thief might have help and REALLY want the rack!

Dave B

12/15/12 8:16 AM

You don't need a Kryptonite. Any trailer or boat dealer or hitch installer sells locking clevis pins in sizes to fit 1-1/4" and 2" drawbars and they are smaller, lighter and a lot less expensice than a Kryptonite lock.

dfcas

12/15/12 8:33 AM

I bought a rack that came with a clevis pin lock and a cable lock for the bikes that stores neatly in the arms. Now if I can remember where I put those keys...

daddy-o

12/15/12 9:07 AM

Making it easier for the thief?

It seems like using a Kryptonite and a crowbar would provide enough leverage to break the pin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for slowing the thief down / dampening the incentive.

The tow loop is good for restaurant breaks, but it reminds me of looping a hardened lock through ornamental ironwork. The next morning the iron was bent apart and the bike and lock were gone.

I really liked that bike too, sniff. "After twenty years he still mourns." (Mr. Bojangles, and it's more like 30!)

Matthew Currie

12/15/12 3:34 PM

Of course a determined thief can get anything with effort. I suggested a Kryptonite lock because some of us have old ones hanging around anyway, and it's a useful stopgap if you don't have a locking pin handy at the moment. Any good locking pin will keep a quick thief from getting it off quickly, which is the main purpose.

Reply to topic    

dddd

12/15/12 11:55 PM

They've got bike motion alarms on Ebay, and even ones with remote pocket buzzer. Might be good enough for a dash into Denny's.
Fairly small, cheap, durable, light and loud.
I've bought a few for myself and others, one (a $9 version) of which interrupted a walk-off attempt at a coffee shop.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

12/16/12 3:13 PM

Deterrant

I have sometimes thought about mounting an (empty) shotgun shell under the saddle, obvious, pointed up, with some wires disappearing into the frame.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -